All timber exposed in my renovation, should i treat it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am in the middle of a renovation of my 1900 little cottage and all the ceiling joists and rafters etc are now exposed. It is a brick cottage with concrete ground floor, so not a lot of wood around but quite a few people have said I should get all the wood treated as a precautionary measure while I have the chance, as it will be difficult once it is all covered up again.

The house isn't big (6m by 5m '2 up 2 down' farm worker cottage) but I have had quotes of £800 - £1000 for treatment.

Just to be clear, there is NO SIGN of wood rot or wood worm in any of the joists or rafters or upstairs floor boards.

Does anyone have any recommendations of a treatment that I can apply myself or whether the price quoted is reasonable or ridiculous? It seems a bit hard to swallow paying upto £1k for a problem I don't have just to say I have done it.

Thanks all!

David.

Sponsored Links
If there's no sign of a problem then don't worry about it. Just inspect it all very closely to be sure.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back