Treating joists and rafters??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently renovating my Victorian property and have all wood exposed. This is suspended wooden ground floor joists, first floor joists and rafters in loft. My house is completely gutted and generally speaking all wood looks in ok condition however there are some areas which show either a live infestation of woodworm or perhaps its not active now, I don't know.

My question is .....is it advisable to treat all wood with some form of treatment for the protection of the wood in the future and if so what products should I use?

Sponsored Links
if its all exposed then yes why not.
if you want to do it your self use a garden sprayer,BUT make sure you have the correct fume respirator on.
you can obtain a combined fluid woodworm/rot but whether they will supply to you is another thing?

we use safeguard chemicals,lots of info on there website.

or

go down another route,as you have exposed the timber ask your local preservation company round for a quote,shouldnt cost to much as you have done all the work.they just come in and spray everything that doesnt move,oh and your get a guarantee.but bear it mind that will be what they have treated and not the new joinery you will be introducing.

my thinking is,if your going down the route of treatment then obtain a chemical that contains biocide to treat rot aswell.that way you are covering yourself from all angles.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Gregors, I'll go and buy some tomorrow and make sure it covers wet, dry rot and woodworm and contains biocide as you have suggested.

Thanks for your help, I'll just be spraying it on all exposed timber

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back