Woodworm in 3 month old treated joists.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've spent so much money and time installing 50m² of treated floor joists to find 2 of them covered in woodworm holes a few months later. I checked each joist on delivery so I know they weren't delivered like that.

The house has been quite a mess with some rubble and wood saw shavings but since the discovery we have completely tidied and hoovered all the mess.

The joists have been installed but due to major refurbishment work, they haven't been insulated or covered with floorboards yet.

I'm not sure if I have done something wrong or they were infected before delivery but I need to know how to prevent further spread and kill any which are still alive.

Could having the joists exposed without floorboard some a long period of time cause this?

Thanks

EDIT: All joists are dry, with great ventilation. The house is freezing because no one lives in it and there is no heating.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I've spent so much money and time installing 50m² of treated floor joists to find 2 of them covered in woodworm holes a few months later. I checked each joist on delivery so I know they weren't delivered like that.

The house has been quite a mess with some rubble and wood saw shavings but since the discovery we have completely tidied and hoovered all the mess.

The joists have been installed but due to major refurbishment work, they haven't been insulated or covered with floorboards yet.

I'm not sure if I have done something wrong or they were infected before delivery but I need to know how to prevent further spread and kill any which are still alive.

Could having the joists exposed without floorboard some a long period of time cause this?

Thanks

Is woodworm likely in treated timber?

I seem to remember woodworm holes are exit holes, so the end of the wood chewing cycle. I doubt that happens in a few months

Is there fine dust below the holes, known as frass?

I reckon they are old holes, prior to treatment that you missed.......

Is woodworm likely in treated timber?

I seem to remember woodworm holes are exit holes, so the end of the wood chewing cycle. I doubt that happens in a few months

Is there fine dust below the holes, known as frass?

I reckon they are old holes, prior to treatment that you missed.......

The wood was delivered wet, so assuming it was treated just before delivery. Me and the pops checked each joist, moved them around a bunch and installed it all outselves. Neither of us realised until now. The two pieces affected were one installed piece and another spare joist which sat above it. Although the spare piece was with a bunch on other wood (all untreated) which never had any signs of woodworm.

We cleaned too soon to check for frass.

A large knot in the affected installed joist completely crumpled which will need repairing :(

How long does woodworm tend to take to create a spread of holes along a meter of joist?

The wood was delivered wet, so assuming it was treated just before delivery. Me and the pops checked each joist, moved them around a bunch and installed it all outselves. Neither of us realised until now. The two pieces affected were one installed piece and another spare joist which sat above it. Although the spare piece was with a bunch on other wood (all untreated) which never had any signs of woodworm.

We cleaned too soon to check for frass.

A large knot in the affected installed joist completely crumpled which will need repairing :(

How long does woodworm tend to take to create a spread of holes along a meter of joist?

I think woodworm larvae stay in the timber chomping, and you see the holes appear when they exit. The holes dont appear as they work along.

Are the holes clean edged and about 2mm dia?

The timber being wet, is more likely a sign of the supplier storing it outside in the rain than recent treatment.

Sponsored Links
I think woodworm larvae stay in the timber chomping, and you see the holes appear when they exit. The holes dont appear as they work along.

Are the holes clean edged and about 2mm dia?

The timber being wet, is more likely a sign of the supplier storing it outside in the rain than recent treatment.

Yes approx 2mm holes all along the affected area.
If I treat the joists with treatment on both a Saturday and Sunday for a few weekends, would this likely soak the joists and kill any bugs and prevent re-infestation?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back