Allowances for new build

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are in the process of buying a New Build 4 bed detached with 2 ensuites, kitchen/diner, utility etc.
Not massive proportions

House.jpg

Was on the market for a year at £275 with no offers....we got it for less.

We got a list of the allowances from the estate agent....however, for the bathrooms it said 'a choice of bathroom suites' only...the agent assured us that it would be a reasonable quality suite....as would the ensuite fittings. We made our offers and eventually agreed a purchase price.

I talked to the developer and he said he would email some ideas from his local supplier (Tecaz....now I've heard they are low quality...stack em high type supplier).
He emailed me a pic of a suggested suite....it had the price stickers on...£99 for toilet and basin and £100 for steel contract bath :eek:
He added pics of taps...with prices between £6.99 and 8.99 :eek: :eek:

Of course, we played hell......a £200 bathroom suite for a house like that :mad:
He even sent a pic of a £99 chrome effect 900mm quad shower cubicle...must be great quality :confused:

We also had a wrangle over a kitchen allowance that dropped from £4K to £3K....but he eventually compromised by giving us his full Howdens discount at @70%, we are going to have to add £3.5K of our own for a 16 unit (with large pan drawers) Glendevon kitchen, but we are specifying oak worktop/breakfast bar, Bosch cooker/hob, dishwasher etc.....so now that doesn't seem as bad.

However, it looks like he wants to fork out around £700 inc vat on a family bathroom and two ensuites! I think this is ridiculous for a house of this price (high for my area...where an average 3 bed semi can be anywhere between £120K and £160K).
We are meeting him onsite tomorrow, one of the agreed discussions will be about bathrooms!
Does anyone have an idea from similar purchases etc on what we should reasonably expect for an allowance towards a bathroom, 2 ensuites and cloakroom suite?
We are going to say that we want to pick our own stuff....and since the nearest Tecaz is a 4hr round trip, we want to use local suppliers (even if it is B&Q.....still, we would be looking at @ £800 for something that is modern and even looks quality.
Bear in mind, we are going to have to supply and fit our own fireplace, all flooring, decor, decent lighting (to replace standard pendants).
We also realise that the doors are the cheap white panel doors available from DIY stores.
In other words...we are going to have to spend several thousands of our own to make it look the quality of a medium quality self build.

All this is making my stomach turn...very stressful....especially considering our small (the people buying ours had already agreed a sale with someone from Scotland...who themselves have sold their property the Scottish way!). There is a lot of pressure for a 6 week completion.

Please help :cry:

Sorry I had to state costs....but I feel it is essential info with regards to my question.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
This is one of those "How long is a piece of string" answers.

Never forget you hold the ace card and can walk away should you not be happy with the deal. My daughter has just completed on a new build in Bracknell with George Wimpey's.

To move the houses they have dropped the prices heavily and have thrown in all sorts of incentives. Stamp duty, deposit, carpets, curtains, kitchens etc etc etc.

She was not happy with the choice of tiles on offer, (She later found the same ones amongst sale specials in Topps tiles), which like some of your stuff seemed cheap and institutional. She made a minor fuss and has chosen ones from a local supplier which Wimpey has accepted they will pay for.

Just push for the best and stand your ground.

After all that - I can't remember what the original question was. Oh yes - price. Well you are the only buyer he has in a falling market - so he should give you whatever you want. The odds are that the house will be worth about 10% less next year anyway - and he won't want to be stuck with it.

Sponsored Links
Ever the optimist, Joe thought he would try and cheer the OP up with some invaluable news regarding the biggest financial decsion of his life;

the house will be worth about 10% less next year anyway - and he won't want to be stuck with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back