almost no cold water upstairs in bathroom,rest of house fine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys..at the moment i have virtually no cold water upstair in main bathroom..the set up is as follows...very slow water to cystern, very slow water to basin, NO water to bath (unless i hold my finger over basin tap whilst its running then a trickle comes through bath tap), shower is an electric one and i HAVE great pressure & cold water through that)..the water in the bathroom is run off its own tank in the loft (i assume ) as their are 2 big tanks in loft plus the header.the bathroom water has it own stop valve which i can turn on and off without affecting the rest of the water through the house & the pipework runs to one of the big tanks in loft... all tanks in loft are full,so please does anyone have any ideas as to how i can restore my water to bathroom ?...many many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Sounds like either an airlock or a blockage in the cold feed to the bathroom.

A blockage ould be something stuck in the outlet from the storage tank in the loft, or somewhere else in the pipework, or it could be an isolating valve that doesn't open properly. Gate valves are notorious for that.

If it's an airlock, you may be able to shift it by connecting a hose from the kitchen cold tap to one of the bathroom cold taps, and running a burst of mains-pressure water back through the pipework. Keep an eye on the water level in the cold storage tank though, as you may cause it to overflow.

hi, thank you for your reply, well last night i did as you suggested..but i had to fix the hose to the outside tap (as the sink one was impossble to get it on), anyway i connected the tap....ran the other end of the hose to the bathroom tap and gave it what i think was a good blast ( just for a cpl of mins ( as a mate watched the tank in the loft to make sure that did not overflow or anything )...removed the hose...turned the water on and yep it worked !!! blockage gone taps running normally again now, so many many thanks for the idea...really appreciated ! :) ....ALAN

Sponsored Links
You'd better go up in the loft now and clean the dead bird/mouse/scraps of insulation out of the tank, and fit a close-fitting lid on it, and fit it with an insulating jacket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back