Alpha 240E Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
5 yr old Alpha 240E failed to light 3 months ago. Fault finder in manual highlighted the ignition PCB to be the problem. It turned out to be dirty contacts in one of the relays on the Ignition PCB. A gentle tap with a screw driver on the relay brought it back to the life..... BUT......

Two other problems have recently developed.

1. You can only get hot water if you have the central heating switched on!! Fine in winter but I'm dreading summer. Also the water isn't HOT it's luke warm at best.....Not sure what the problem is here. Got a feeling it's something to do with a valve somewhere in the system

2. The boiler fails to light on the first ignition cycle when in the Central Heating mode. The burner lights for a couple of seconds then goes out. It then lights... and goes out. It does this several times before it actually stays on. Occasionally the RESET switch cuts in and the whole thing shuts down. One thing that I've found is that running a hot tap for a couple of seconds lights the boiler and keeps it going.

The user manual suggest suggests changing the flame sensing electrode and then the ignition PCB. I've got no problem doing this and found the bits online for £100 ish.... only thing is I'm not too keen to throw £100 into a PCB + £??? on the other problem to keep a 5 year old boiler running when the whole thing can be replaced for £370.

Anyone else had similar problems with an Alpha boiler or can give advice?

Sponsored Links
when the whole thing can be replaced for £370.

Not legally it can't. :rolleyes:

I suggest problem with HW is a split diaphragm, and the ignition one is due to lack of servicing.

Got the same problem,had british gas out today they told me that the valve that switches from hot water to the radiators is either jammed or needs replacing. Quoted me £153 to buy.
This is found behind the round looking brass plate that is fastened down by five screws (were the diaphram is fitted), has soon as you open the front cover

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back