Alpha 240E Ignition Lockout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Alpha 240E

When the boiler attempts to light both HW and CH, I can hear the electronic ignition activated by the ticking of the spark, but after 30 seconds, the burner does not light and I get the reset light/button illuminating. The fan continues to run and the gas shut of valve operates. If I press the reset button the boiler ignites as normal. This happens approximately 3 times per day. This started to happen when I changed gas supplier but surely that can't have anything to do with it. I have checked the spark gap and condition, seems to be ok according to the maintenance manual.

The problem is so intermittent that any plumber/corgi man visiting has failed to see the problem but still charges for the call out. I didn't want to waste money replacing random parts just yet. I have followed the troubleshooting flow in the maintenance manual but there is nothing listed for ignition lockout.

I have one further unrelated question. Is it possible to increase the flow of hot water through the boiler, I would prefer more water, not so hot as opposed to less water very hot. The temperature of the water is adjustable and the flame modulates accordingly, however, I can't get more flow.

Any help appreciated,

Thanks,

Janikman.

Sponsored Links
You would not normally hear the ignition spark.

I am wondering if its actually sparking along the HT lead somewhere? Can you see it spark at the electrode when it fails to ignite?

The other possibility is that the gas valve is sticking although thats not so common on your model.

These aspects mostly need a CORGI engineer as the gas valve settings are quite critical and can cause your problem. Not all people who are CORGI registered can even set up a gas valve!

Tony Glazier

There are two filters in your HW line - either could be blocked a bit reducing your HW flow. There is also a flow regulator which should limit to about 8 litres/min. Measure your flow and see.

The 280 uses a regulator of about 10 litres/min so you could have yours swapped fror one of those. If you remove the regulator altogether you might find you need a lot of flow for the boiler to turn on .

Thanks for your help. As far as I know I have always heard the ignition spark. I cannot see the ignition spark through the window and have never managed to catch the problem when the burner front is off. Sods law. I'll keep trying.

HW Flow - I have measured the flow at exactly 8 litres per minute. If I wanted to replace with the 280 10 litre per minutre regulator, is it inside the DWH flow valve ?

Thanks again.

Janikman

Sponsored Links
The little red light means(iiirc) that either the air pressure switch has not operated, or the the boiler water water flow switch has not "made".

The flow restrictor would be shown in the manual - which you have?

alpha-restrictor.gif

Do you have a copy of the Alpha 240E manual Chris?

I would be very grateful if you could email it to me?

Hi Chris
Did you ever get your boiler to work? if so what was it ? only I'm having the same problem,I hope you can help.

Many thanks

Stuart[/quote]

churillo said:
Its usually the venturi in the flue.

Possibly, but if the venturi was partially blocked and causing this, then aps would not operate to allow ignition to start.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back