Alpha 240e wont ignite when cold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope someone may be able to help. Have an old Alpha 240e that locks out when it tries to ignite.

Engineer has looked at it. If you remove the cover from the combustion chamber it ignites every time. When the cover is put back on it wont ignite. Once ignited you can replace the cover quickly and the boiler will continue to function for HW and CH. stoping and starting as required. Once the boiler has cooled down overnight it goes back to locking out.

Any thoughts??

Sponsored Links
Common fault on those old girls, but to rectify the fault is for a COMPETENT serviceman. Your bloke doesn't sound as if he 's got a clue. Easy fix, but RGI required.

Sponsored Links
2 separate engineers came out. first thought it was the ignition pcb. replaced that no difference. 2nd could not explain why the boiler would ignite with the combustion chamber cover removed and not when it was replaced.

I was hoping for some suggestions from the forum??

I was hoping for some suggestions from the forum??
Sorry we are not allowed to.

My suggestion would be to call another engineer. Preferably one who knows what he is doing. As previously said. This is a simple fault to diagnose

Thanks, I wasn't planning on doing anything to the boiler myself, just trying to understand a problem. Having now had 2 engineers from different companies both Gas Safe registered I am at a loss.

Only loss you have is not paying for someone that knows what they're doing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back