Alpha CB28 issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Gents
Have been experiencing problems with my CB28 boiler
If I give you symptoms and some of the parts I have changed over the last couple of years perhaps it may help with diagnosis.
1. Boiler is about 9 years old
2. At around 6 years old I had the rads and underfloor pipes replaced, chemically cleaned and serviced
3. At around 7 years old I replaced the DHW heat exchanger
4. Last year I replaced the diverter valve assembly which included the diaphrgam VV
Im getting a tail off in hot water temp when a tap is opened. I have mostly mixers but all have single check isolation valves fitted. However the down stairs loo has separate taps and opening the hot tap I get hot water which fluctuates very hot to stone cold. Flow hasnt been measured but it is excellent.
At the boiler itself I initially get the flashing 5 second green B light with the Red A light not illumianted.
When I get the missus to open the hot tap the boiler fires up straight away then after about 5 seconds the pressure starts to rise and then what appears a relief blowing down and the red A light is constantly illuminated.
The hot water is still deliverered but fluctuates hot and cold.
I have checked the DHW switch and pressing the white microswitch whilst the meter is connected it goes from open circuit to closed circuit. I have a good spare DHW switch but havent fitted it yet as the existing appears to be working.
With the cover off and my hand on the DV outlet to CH but with the boiler only on DHW the pipe to CH does get hot.
I tried closing the supply vv to the CH but the symptoms above persisted.
Im thinking diverter valve, possibly perished diaphragm. Ive ordered a kit as well as a new valve. The aim being to replace the DV with the new vv and then rebuild the old one as a spare.
However is it likely to be the DHW heat exchanger? Im unsure as it was replaced only a couple of years ago and I wouldnt have thought that scale would form at DHW temps?
There is little to no sludge in the system as new pipes and rads have just been fitted. Indicated by the cristal clear water when I drain down.
So my question is, am I on the right track or is this a indiscriminate replacement of parts!
Any help would be greatly recieved!
Russ

Sponsored Links
Im also getting what appears to be a hissing from around the dv area.
Sort of like high pressure water or air passing by a plate or diapraghm?!
Doesnt happen all the time and often after I have turned off the water.
Im not avoiding the enivitable but prefer not to dismantle needlessly as from experience it often ends in tears!
Russ

anyone have some suggestions?
Replaced the DHW switch and it stops tripping out but thie issue with the cold water after a couple of seconds hot water persists.
Have a DV on order so hoping its that.
I also won on fleabay a DHW heat exchanger, brand new for 20quid so may consider changing that and having a go at cleaning the original.
Any help greatlty appreaciated!
Russ

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back