Alpha combi boiler pressure gauge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

something that slowly and surely drives me crazy on the new CD35C combi boiler from Alpha- any thoughts highly appreciated, as this was observed for weeks and weeks now:

1. We start with pressure gauge showing 1 bar, in middle of green area on the display.

2. If the system had long periods of no heating AND no hot water use (1/2 to 1-2 days time period when nobody home), the gauge seems to indicate a loss of pressure of up to 0.2 bar.

3. However, it is enough to then have a shower (hence only using hot water, NOTHING moves on heating front) and the needle goes up by quite noticeable amount (even 0.1 or more bar).

4. One can actually see that after hot water usage stopped, it makes some humming noises for a few seconds and as soon as that stops, the needle jumps up a bit then stays at this slightly higher value. These 'bits' are cumulative, and if then left alone again for 1/2 day or more, it can go down again. If frequent hot water use, NO heating, the needle can go back to pretty much where it started...

Initially I thought I'm losing pressure, as it can over time drop, but then why would it correct itself to some (or full) extent just because hot water was used...

One can not dismiss the possibility of a very subtle leak in CH system, BUT the pressure being "lost" gradually when it is NOT in ANY use, then actually increasing pressure indication while heating has NOT come on (only hot water), makes me seriously question actual leak.

Any ideas? has anyone observed this on Alpha boilers or whatever makes? is there some (intended or faulty) connection between the heating and hot water systems, some leak in expansion tank (but affected by hot water usage?!) or something - or plain inaccuracy of the gauge?

It can really drive one paranoid about some subtle leak in heating system, but... bizarre contrary behaviour observed.

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
If you're only getting a 0.1bar fluctuation then you shouldn't worry about it.

Totally normal.

Heated water expands , this increases the pressure slightly in normal operation.
When the system is cool the pressure decreases slightly

thanks, one nagging thing is just that I assumed the pressure in the system it measures (the heating part) is really disconnected from hot water supply-related part. So if the CH pressure gauge fluctuates this much by just using hot water, there must be quite some heat transfer to the CH-related expansion tank and who knows what else.

0.1 bar indeed is small-ish change, just bothered me that after a long weekend total 'pause', it managed to go down to almost the bottom of the green area (namely a cumulative drop of 0.2-0.25 or so).
Will certainly monitor it over time, especially now that (one hopes) the heating is not needed.

Sponsored Links
Google how a combi boiler works. The system water is heated for both heating or hot water and diverted to where it's needed.

WEll, based on lot of reading thought that the pressure indicated by the gauge is a reflection of the pressurised heating system.
So if it indirectly heats the hot water with the same 'system water' that is quite indirect and low efficiency. Otherwise of course it would have to pump the actual cold water through same double heat exchanger which is then raising all sorts of other (yucky) issues.
Right, thanks. So if there isn't a clear separation between the circuits then the whole fluctuation can be neatly explained.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back