Alpha Combi boilers, any good?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Friend with a 14 yo Baxi Combi has had a price of £1850 to replace it and tells me her boiler man only fits Alphas. Can't find any recent reviews here on them and wonder what the general opinion of them is. Seems to be mostly negative on Google
Thanks

Sponsored Links
What's up with the Baxi? Alphas aren't the best, not helped by them often being fitted by Bodgit & Scarper types.

usually when changing an item,something of equivalent quality or better is usually chosen :idea:

Last edited by a moderator:
Stick with Baxi if Alpha is what this guy is recommending.
Recently removed a six year old Alpha as it kept failing.

Sponsored Links
It seems the Baxi keeps going wrong. She's had a new expansion vessel, the diverter valve is currently sticking and the system keeps losing pressure. I've said the latter may be a fault elsewhere in the system. I think she thinks the Baxi is 14 yo and can't be long for this world. He's told her the Alpha will have a 7 year guarantee. I'm worried he's taking advantage of an OAP living on her own.

Hard to comment without seeing it but, if the boiler is showing signs of corrosion and starting to become problematic then he is giving her good advice imo. Whether I agree with the choice of replacement boiler or not is a different matter.

As boilers go, the current Alphas I've come across don't seem overly better or worse than many out there. What sets them apart as a poor choice is the ridiculously high price and poor availability of spares.

Alphas of old used to leak like a sieve.

Current range of alphas are crap.

I prefer Worcester and Vaillant but if price is the concern then look for the Baxi Duotec if they're still knocking that out.

Tell her to get another quote. My mum has just had her aging Biassi combi boiler replaced with a Worcester Bosch including a re-route of the condensate indoors (old one was outside) and a power flush. She paid £1,900

Tell her to get another quote. My mum has just had her aging Biassi combi boiler replaced with a Worcester Bosch including a re-route of the condensate indoors (old one was outside) and a power flush. She paid £1,900

Blimey. Presumably for that price it was the cheap Woofter Bodge with the rubber gas pipe that perishes in the heat and splits every so often, and the magical collapsing heat exchanger?

Last edited:
Dont know and don’t care but it replaced a Biasi so couldn’t go any lower in quality. It was a Greenstar CDi compact and it came with a 7 year guarantee I think so it’ll probably outlast her. She’s happy enough with it and at the end of the day that’s all that matters.

Last edited:
Personally I would fit an Alpha every time before a Worcester, every installer has their own preference.

Thanks everyone. I'll see what has been agreed with her installer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back