Alpha HE 33 ( or CD35C) or Baxi Duotec 40

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm having a loft conversion and as a result need to rip out my boiler and replace with a combi ( going through the cylinder space and don't want a tank in the loft !)

The 3 guys I have asked to quote have come back with 3 boiler suggestions

The Alpha He33 , Alpha CD35C , or the Baxi Duotec 40.

The house is a "standard" modern 4 bed detached with g/f toilet plus upstairs main bathroom (with one of those shower units that attach to the taps but we very rarely use) , and an en-suite with an electric shower

The loft will have a bathroom with bath and a separate shower cubicle ( plus two other rooms)

The Baxi seems to be my preferred option as it has the best flow rate but..

1- Do I need the extra power of the BAXI ?
2- One guy has put me off the BAXI saying their service if anything goes wrong is really poor ?
3- Would it be better going for the Alpha 35 , but getting one of the cheaper two guys to fit it ?

Any comments most appreciated for a non-techy person

Graham

Sponsored Links
Many would say a Vaillant or Viessmann would be a better boiler at little more cost.

You seem to have found three "one brand" installers of whom none have quoted you for a perceived quality boiler.

If I was giving quotes, I would give examples of top, middle and budget boilers with a note that I can install any other make of boiler if preferred.

Tony

Thanks Tony

So are Baxi and Alpha percieved to be in the middle rank of boilers or at the lower quality end ? The Baxi one apparently was "best buy" in a Which report of Sept 2007 ?

And what makes the ones that you suggest perceived to be better quality - reliability ? , consistency of output ? , better service if things go wrong ?

The overall prices are not cheap and I don't want to end up buying a "pup"

Thanks
Graham

Personally I would take the which report with a pinch of salt :rolleyes:

It goes against what we in the industry all know.

Baxi Duotecs are ok, but my personal opinion is that they are a Biasi, badge engineered with a Giannoni HE fitted.

Strange that the Duo-Tecs have exactly the same hydraulic blocks as the Ideal mini and Biasi whatever :confused:

Sponsored Links
What is the rate/pressure of the cold water supply coming into the house? No point having a massive combi that can provide 16+ litres/minute if you only have 10 litres/min coming in....
And will you have enough gas pressure at the meter to feed that 40kW monster?
I'd take Baxi over Alpha (formerly Ocean), but would strongly push you towards Viessmann - 5 year parts and labour warranty and great engineering.
pete

Thanks Dave and Pete

Pete - you ask about the rate / pressure of the water supply coming in ? Is this something that is measured technically , or is it simply a question of turning on the cold tap in the kitchen or bathroom , running it for a minute , then measuring how much water is in the basin ?

..and similarly how do I test ( or do I need my plumber to work out for me ) what the gas pressure at the meter is ? ... and ( excuse my complete ignorance) what is gas pressure measured in , and how many does it need to be to feed my 40kW monster , as you so quaintly put it

..and the Viessman , I guess you would in my position go for the Vitodens 200W 35kw version ? - presumably worth the extra £250 they seem to retail at comabred to the baxi 40 ? the site I found them on ( plumbing supply services ltd ) only suggest it's a 3 yr warranty - how would i get 5 years ?

Thanks again for all your help

( also, i'm guessing that the prices I have been quoted are someone near the going rate - at on and just above £2k , including of course removal of all the old kit - does this sound about right ?- seems a lot to me , but I'm not a qualified tradesman )

Graham

Water flow; get a bucket of known quantity and a stop watch and time how long to fill the known quantity.

Gas pressure has to be tested by an RGI.

Hello Graham - Viessmann offer a three-year warranty as standard. This increases to five years (parts and labour) if it is installed by someone who has attended the Viessmann training. Heat exchanger is covered for ten years.

If a Vitodens 200W is only £250 more than a Baxi 40 kW you'd be mad not to go for the Viessmann. Weather compensation is worth adding as it will save you loads by keeping the boiler in condensing mode.

pete

Hello Graham - Viessmann offer a three-year warranty as standard. This increases to five years (parts and labour) if it is installed by someone who has attended the Viessmann training. Heat exchanger is covered for ten years.

If a Vitodens 200W is only £250 more than a Baxi 40 kW you'd be mad not to go for the Viessmann. Weather compensation is worth adding as it will save you loads by keeping the boiler in condensing mode.

pete

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back