Alpha HECB25 Intermittent Fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there I was hoping to get some advice about my boiler,

Occasionally when the CH tries to come on or I run the hot water the boiler will start the fan and then the red 'A' light will be flashing and the yellow B light will stay out. The fan will run for about a minute then it remains off.

I can reset the boiler by turning the dial and usually after resetting once or twice it fires up. However sometimes it requires 10-15 minutes before it'll fire up. In the summer it's mostly fine but in the colder weather it gets much much worse. Happening daily and taking many more resets to fire up.
It usually only does this when it's starting from cold, if the heating or hot water have been on recently it's fine.

The manual says this is an overheat thermostat issue, but it's been replaced.

I'm thinking it's the flu thermostat, air pressure switch or perhaps sludge in the plate heat exchanger. I did ask the last plumber to replace the flu thermostat but I think he misunderstood and replaced the overheat thermostat again instead.

Anyone have a firmer idea on what this could be and what I could tell the landlords plumber? The last one wanted to drain the CH system which means me taking a day off work and sounds unlikely to fix it considering running the hot water causes the issue too.

Cheers, Liam.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back