Alternate Metal post anchors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What are your thoughts on Using Simpson Strong Ties as fence anchors. Want to install a 42" picket fence (72" between posts) using there LCB posts and rotate them 90 degrees each post to maximize the strength. I also want to space the post 1" above ground to minimize rot. I would use bolts to fasten the post to the anchor.

Thanks for the input.

Sponsored Links
Can you not get metposts in the US? As these are designed for the application you describe.

Yes, you can get these but they are more expensive then what you can get at from Simpson Strong Tie. ($8 vrs $17 ea) Seams like the only real differance is that these support the post on all 4 sides where the Simpson tie is only on two sides.

mjhenks said:
Yes, you can get these but they are more expensive then what you can get at from Simpson Strong Tie. ($8 vrs $17 ea) Seams like the only real differance is that these support the post on all 4 sides where the Simpson tie is only on two sides.

mjhenks: can you share where these (Metpost Bold Down) can be found in the US (Seattle)?

Thanks much in advance - Steve

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure why ground spikes are not as readily available in the US as the UK. I have also been looking for some. I just saw some on eBay
http://cgi.ebay.com/24-METPOST-SUPP...ryZ20505QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

If that link doesn't translate, try item # 330068865844

I also saw that 84 Lumber carries the StrongTie version of ground spike, so if you have that store in your area it might be worth a look.

Good Luck

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back