Alternative hinges for plastic shed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I have one of those Keter plastic shed thingies. For extra security I've reinforced the structure, including the door, with an internal wooden frame. This has made the door heavier and the existing plastic hinges are incapable of fully supporting its weight, meaning that the bottom edge catches on the threshold when the door is closed. I'm looking to find a solution that keeps the door at the same level when open and closed, as well as giving additional strength to the hinge side.

I've been unable to fit standard metal hinges due to the fact that unlike a standard wooden door, the gap between hinge stile and frame widens when the door is opened, and I'm wondering whether there is any other type of hinge or fitting that I could try; something which can support the weight of the door, and also accommodate the movement between hinge stile and frame.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that. I'll take a trip to our local DIY store and have a closer look at the way Parliament hinges function.

I'm actually beginning to wonder whether a combination of more than one fitting might be the way forward, though right now I've no idea what that combination might be.

Will post a pic later.

Sponsored Links
Its only happened since I put the wooden frame on the inside of the door, so yes, I'm sure its the hinges.

I suppose I could try to shave a couple of mills of plastic off the bottom of the door and see whether that cures it. The hinge pins are at the bottom of their travel and shouldn't fall any further as a result,unless the entire hinge moves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back