skeaking hinges on a fire door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

looking for a cure for my squeaky hinges. the door was fitted about ten years ago when we added a garage to the side of the house. after a while the door started to squeak on opening/closing. i though maybe the hinges fitted were not up to the job. so swapped out for ballbearing hinges but still squeaks. i have noticed the frame moves a little which cant be helping but i wondered if the hinge possiton matters as in commercial premises i have notice they generally have 2 hinges in the top half of the door and only one in the bottom. also does it matter which way up the hinges are, looking at the fingers that interlock around the hinge pin one plate has 2 fingers the other 3. my gut says the one with 3 should be on the frame to support the door but this puts the makers name upside down suggesting it should be the other way around.

any advice greatfully recieved

Sponsored Links
the knuckles should have more on the frame then the door,
squirt a bit of oil or washing up liquid on them to stop the squeak.

it doesnt matter if the name is the right way up,ive fitted plenty like this.

as for your spacing of the butts,then that was decided either by the architect or whom ever planed the job at the begining.

i have tried oil and although it improves matters it doesnt clear the squeak completely. i guess we will just have to live with it.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back