ALTERNATIVE KITCHEN WORKTOPS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I saw a kitchen in a magazine where the owners had used scaffold boards for the kitchen worktop. Anyone done this? Any thoughts on suitability?

Sponsored Links
nsg - perfect for a squat. Not long term in a home because of problems keeping them clean after use due to their 'rough' surface.

plane one face flat, thickness plane other face, cut both edges square and straight . you can then joint them edge to edge with biscuits and/or worktop clamps.

you will need access to workshop machinery (thicknesser/planer and table saw)

Old scaffold boards often have a lot of damage, splits, random saw cuts, old nails banged into them. They can be suitable for building rough structures in the garden, but it's not worth the trouble to try to make a worktop from them.

Sponsored Links
LOL - and tubes for the base units no doubt :rolleyes:

If you are going to use scaffold board, then presumably its the timber effect you want, so why not just use similar timber sections from the merchants?

Are these going to be planed smooth, or do you want splinters in the sandwiches?

The problem with timber is stains and hygiene. So the timber needs to be sealed, which looses the effect, which then defeats the object of using boards in the first place.

It all comes down to what you are trying to achieve. Ideas in magazines, and on the TV design programs look interesting for about 2 minutes - or until the practicalities come to mind

It's a great idea, I did some a few months ago.

Used new boards (still only £13 a length) and let them dry out for a month before using them - vital, they all come with a huge moisture content.

Glued with polyuerathane, needed to clamp down while gluing - you will need to beg or borrow MASSES of clamps! Sanding was a bit boring, a belt sander is vital. Finish was 3 coats of Danish oil.

They look lovely and are very stain resistant indeed - they shrug off everything I have thrown at them, which is a lot, I'm a messy cook!

Cost was well under £100 for a 3.6M run at widths of up to 800mm. Cutting lovely curved corners is easy with a jigsaw. Well worth a try....

Myself I wouldn;'t use any form of softwood as a worktop - it has durability issues which is why wooden worktops in old houses are always hardwood such as sycamore, maple, etc. Softwoods tend to bruise too easily, move much more with changes in the weather, etc. Another example of "designers" with absolutely no idea of why we do some things the way we do IMHO

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back