Alternative Materials for Shed Roof, Not Shed Roof Covering!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm wondering why in the 21st century the apparently preferred method of roofing a shed is still heavy wood based sheets, that have to be continually recovered in felt or other coverings to try to stave off the inevitable ingress of water.

Anyone used more modern, long-life materials instead?

Sponsored Links
Zinc sheets with the correct seams last for ever.....

But as above rubber membrane roofing is beyond measure better than felt. Used it my daughter's play house.

I replaced my rotten felt roof with new ply and rubber/EPDM last year. Wasn't difficult and looks like it'll last forever

Sponsored Links
Use EDPM. I used it 10 years ago on my garage roof, which gets sunlight all day, to replace felt and its still perfect. The supplier sold me some adhesive which is white and looks like (and probably was) PVA. Make sure there are no holes or anything protruding like nail heads. Once the roof is clean, paint the adhesive on the timber and roll the EDMP onto the adhesive smoothing as you go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back