Alternative square sizes for 150 x 50

Reaction score
Country
France
Hi all

I want to build a wooden balcony and span tables show I could use a 150 x 50 for the required span of 2500 mm (based on an internal floor ).

Since this will be outside ,I will be using Douglas Fir to build. The 150 x 50 is not very attractive in its shape but cannot find any sites that give alternatives for same loading but with different aspect for the wood.
Anyone tell me what 150 x 100 would have as a max span ?

Would be grateful for any comments on sizing and comments on the balcony which will be 3000 mm x 2700 mm ( max span as above ).

I have planning permission for this but am not required to submit any calculations for its construction - it's a case of " caveat constructor " ( is that right :D ? )

Have looked around the village and people tend to use v large sections for aesthetic purposes e.g. 250 x 200 for 4500 mm , but it will be difficult positioning mine 6 m above ground so I am looking at weight too.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What is the floor make up and what spacings do you intend to put the joists at? 400mm?

Is it simply a case of a timber deck on timber joists?

Sorry for forgetting spacings: 600 c/l.

Everything wood on wood. What thickness boards would you recommend to give absolute rigidity ? - I hate bounce, especially on a high balcony .

Talking to someone last night , he said use 40 mm, which is just going too far, I think. Intend planks to be one continuous length.

3.5 meters if C16, 3.9 meters if C24.

talking to someone last night , he said use 40 mm, which is just going too far, I think. Intend planks to be one continuous length.

I got 94x34 being the smallest softwood size in my tables you can span for a deck board at 600c (domestic loading).

FYI, a 144x22 would only span 400.

As you want to eliminate bounce, 40mm doesn't seem that excessive.

Unless you are talking decent hardwood's.

Sponsored Links
Are you talking about 150x100 on weak axis??

Then you are looking at a span of around 2.6m with about 7.5mm deflection...or 6.4mm for 2.5m span.

50x150 C16would deflect by about 5.3mm for same loadings and spacings...

talking to someone last night , he said use 40 mm, which is just going too far, I think. Intend planks to be one continuous length.
30mm thick by 144 wide (standard decking plank?) will deflect about 1.1mm with a 0.9kN (90kg) point load on one of the spans.

Have been away so sorry for delay in replying. Thanks for your answers lads,will now tackle the job.

Will probably use 200 x 150 or 120 just for aesthetics.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back