Alternative to decking to fill void

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm getting a set of french doors installed at the rear wall/back of the house - the house sits just below the level of the back grass and currently that lowered space is slabbed from the rear wall to where the grass starts. We need to fill that void so the doors open onto the same level as the grass.

Further along the house, there's another set of french doors and the void is bridged with decking but it's lethally slippy and the mrs hates it. I believe putting soil/grass up to the rear wall would cause issues as it's above the DPC. The void is around 50cm high, 1m long, 4m wide - I know there's non-slip varieties of decking but I'm wondering what alternatives there might be?

Sponsored Links
Not sure on alternatives but for your current deck osmo anti-slip decking oil is pretty good stuff.

There is no real alternative without serious damp proofing work. I would stick with the decking if the access must be a level threshold.

The void is around 50cm high, 1m long, 4m wide - I know there's non-slip varieties of decking but I'm wondering what alternatives there might be?
Fitrite decking - brilliant stuff- go for the Evolution deckboards. I have a deck 6m long made from it. (y) it's non slip plastic with a wood/pvc surface. email to [email protected]

Sponsored Links
Some sort of elevated patio/beam and block?
With a gap left between the house and a grille fitted?

What sort of serious damproof work would be involved?

Tigercub - yes, that sounds more like what I'm thinking, was just wondering what the structure would look like/contain/be made from?

All I thought was either a bought driveway drain channel somehow used to bridge the gap or a larger grating type metal "thing" . One beam fixed to the house and another to the standalone decking, dropped to make the grating flush. Could use metal angle instead?

When I was a kid out house's garage was converted from an old vinery and had metal gratings all around the floor on the inside to allow heat from a boiler that had been used to heat the building. They'd be worth a bomb now I expect

You could use plastic grilles, galvanised, or stainless depending on the look

Thanks again, I wasn't even sure what the materials were called, but drain channel was the type of things I was thinking.

Question is (for anyone who cares to chip in) could I now place a drain channel up against the wall, then landfill the remaining gap? I.e. could another mini retaining wall be made after the width of the drain (100mm away from the wall)?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back