Raised Decking + DPC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am hoping that someone can help me with a question about decking.

I previously had a deck that was below the DPC, I bolted a ledger board to the back of the house with a 10mm gap between the wall and the board.

We have now had an extension and I removed all the decking and I am about to put the decking back. However we have decided that it would be nice to walk out of the french doors and onto the deck. So I plan on putting the decking about 2 inches below the french doors, this now takes me above the DPC.

I thought of two options.

1) Dont bolt the ledger board to the house, and build the frame and set it on 4" x 4" uprights. And leave a gap of about 1" between the wall and the first deck board. Fill this gap with some sort of grill to allow airflow and stop the build up of leaves etc.

2) Bolt the ledger board to the house with a 10mm gap again, and leave plenty of space under for air to get to the air bricks. however won't I now be bridging the DPC?

Any thoughts on the best way forward would be great. How have others approached having the decking above the DPC?

Thanks

Glen

Sponsored Links
its not a problem, but if you are that concerned put some shims between the wall and the wall plate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back