Alternative to elec socket for wardrobe light (tight space)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Fitting some wardrobes into a recess in a bedroom. I also need a source of power for the wardrobe lights. Problem is there is not much space around, either to the sides or on top. I was thinking about taking a feed from the ceiling light and putting a fcu in the wall to the side of the wardrobe (the type where the cable comes out from the bottom / front like on toilet hand dryer)

Is this an acceptable thing to do, or can you offer any other suggestions?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes, that would be fine.

Although, being connected to the lighting circuit a fuse may not be necessary - only if the device manufacturer requires one.

You can get FCUs without a fuse, i.e. just a connector plate.

If there is so little room on top of the wardrobes, why not have the cable go through the ceiling into the wardrobes (assuming loft above).

Sounds fine although as above no need for a FCU.

I would advise to get the final connections done by a qualified electrician though. Then they can test to ensure everything is safe with the circuit alteration.

There are other things to consider however. How do you propose to get the cable from the light to the cupboard?

Thanks both for your replies.

If there is so little room on top of the wardrobes, why not have the cable go through the ceiling into the wardrobes (assuming loft above).

I wasn't sure if this was allowed to be honest - but yes, this would be an easier solution.

There are other things to consider however. How do you propose to get the cable from the light to the cupboard?

If going with EFLImpudence suggestion and not bothering with an FCU, I was going to use 1.5mm 3 core flex rather than twin & earth, connect from the existing ceiling loop then to the wardrobe lights. The wardrobe lights come with a plug. I was just going to cut this off, then connect the lights to the feed in a junction box.

Sponsored Links
Do you mean they come with an ordinary household plug or a wall wart?

Can't cut off the later without some hassle.

Thanks both for your replies.

I wasn't sure if this was allowed to be honest - but yes, this would be an easier solution.

If going with EFLImpudence suggestion and not bothering with an FCU, I was going to use 1.5mm 3 core flex rather than twin & earth, connect from the existing ceiling loop then to the wardrobe lights. The wardrobe lights come with a plug. I was just going to cut this off, then connect the lights to the feed in a junction box.

I mean how are you going to get the cable from A-B. Through the loft? Surface trunking?

Of course yes. The use of twin and earth is not a requirement, it's just cheaper and easier to work with (on the whole)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back