Wiring in a TV off the lighting circuit?

The 40W LED TV will come with a lead with a BS 1363 plug containing the appropriate fuse. Plug it into a BS 1363 socket. Job done.
Yes, that the simple solution, ...
It's all the malarkey about having to put a 2A or 5A BS 546 socket in because it's a 6A lighting circuit which is misguided, complicating and unhelpful.
I basically agree. The fixed wiring will be more than adequately protected by a 6A OPD and the only downside would be the slight inconvenience of the MCB operating if someone decided to plug in a fan heater. I suspect that a lot of this is about psychology and "feelings in people's bones" - although we know that 13A through the circuit will not do any harm provided the MCB operates as intended (and probably no harm even if it doesn't!), that situation 'doesn't feel nice'!

In any event, a 5A socket with an unfused plug could theoretically present a problem if, as I was suggesting, the TV (or whatever) came with a mains cable that could not be adequately protected by a 6A MCB.

So, all in all, I think we are agreed!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Yes, that the simple solution, ...
And as is so often the case, also the best solution.

I basically agree. The fixed wiring will be more than adequately protected by a 6A OPD and the only downside would be the slight inconvenience of the MCB operating if someone decided to plug in a fan heater. I suspect that a lot of this is about psychology and "feelings in people's bones" - although we know that 13A through the circuit will not do any harm provided the MCB operates as intended (and probably no harm even if it doesn't!), that situation 'doesn't feel nice'!
jello.jpg%20

In any event, a 5A socket with an unfused plug could theoretically present a problem if, as I was suggesting, the TV (or whatever) came with a mains cable that could not be adequately protected by a 6A MCB.
Solution - don't change the fused plug which comes with the TV for an unfused one.

So, all in all, I think we are agreed!
Apart from the jelly-ish feelings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back