Can I use this switch somehow to turn the TV off?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I remodelled our bedroom a few months ago. I put a three gang light switch next to the headboard to control the room lights.

As my wife changed her mind later we are only using two of the switches with one spare but already wired in 1mm cable to a junction box in the loft, where it stays unsured.

We have recently purchased a LCD television which is situated inside a space I made for it in the fitted wardrobes. We obviously turn off the TV using the remote control, but it stays on standby, cant be bothered to get out of a warm bed!!

In both my sons' rooms I put in a fused switch next to their bed so that they could completely turn off the TV completely.

Now I know I cant run the TV through this switch, can I, but could someone suggest a way that it could be utilised. My idea is perhaps it could operate a switch in the power circuit, a relay or something like that, any ideas. Must try to help save the planet :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
If you have cabled each switch with its own piece of 1.0mm T+E, you could perhaps feed the switch from a Fused Connection Unit spurred from a convenient local socket, and fit is with a 3A fuse to protect the switch. Alternatively, you could simply feed the TV off the lighting circuit.

I'm not particularly fond of either of these solutions, as the first one leaves you with a switch plate whose supplies are mixed between lighting and non-lighting circuits, and the latter is a bit of a botch.

Is it really that important to you that the TV is completely turned off? The standby consumption of modern appliances is barely measurable, despite what the government and greenies may have you think about how much energy is being wasted. You'd be lucky to save 50p a year by turning it off when not in use.

Sponsored Links
As already pointed out modern TV equipment with the exception of Sky boxes mainly comply with 1W rule and use no more than 1W on standby.

The whole reason for harping on about standby was old TV's kept the valves warm for fast start-up but now with no valves in the TV (the last was tube itself) no real point in switching off.

The TV on run is around 100W to 200W depending on model so will run on a 3A supply so as long as a FCU is used no reason why the switch should not directly switch socket no real need for relays.

What is really needed is to get Sky to change their design as they are odd one out where their boxes use nearly as much on standby as when being viewed. They use 10 times what the TV uses.

Free to air (not free to view) box does not measure on meter on standby and DVD recorder under 1W even when both auto switch on looking at around 6W being 5W for DVD and 1W for free to air box. But Sky+ box uses 10W on standby and 15W on record with 18W on run. But I have no intention of getting out of bed and walking down stairs to switch off or on it will be controlled by the three sky remote's and pair of digi-eye's and same applies to booster splitter in loft and to my router. Also all my cordless phones they will stay on 24/7. Bedroom TV, Microwave, Cooker, DVD recorder, and VCR all lose time if switched off (Now that analogue TV has been switched off) so they stay on 24/7 as does my printer as when off can't receive faxes.

I know manufactures could include a battery back-up for time and remote operation but the batteries would have more of an environment impact then leaving switched on.

As to global warming it's snowing again here.

all depends on how many watts consumed on standby
1w standby for 12hrs a day = 4 unit or 40p at 10 p a unit over a year

but the average is probably nearer 10w and say 10 items so around £40 a year ;)

but the average is probably nearer 10w and say 10 items so around £40 a year ;)

Show me ten devices in the average home that consume 10w on standby. I think you'll struggle! Standby consumption is just not that high any more, many newer products claim far less than 1w.

i recon the average house has a normal old fasioned tv for every flat screen
and although theres loads off low standby gadgets think off games consoles that are higher draw

you also have the elderly population that not only have 25w standby tvs they have video recorders and steam powered radio :D :D ;)

Standby current consumption for various consoles:

image.php

Ignoring the Wii with connect 24 on, which isn't a feature you would have enabled if you cared about standby power consumption, the worst offender is the XBOX 260 at 2.5 watts. Granted that's about £2.50 worth of electricity per year, but compared to the 0.5w or less of standby power consumed by many modern TVs and the like, you must consider whether or not it's worthwhile installing a switch simply for the TV. Even from an environmental standpoint, what about all the carbon released in producing the products required to complete the electrical work?

Sorry to be sceptical, but I'm just not convinced. If you want to turn electrical appliances off at the socket then fair enough. If you really must install a dedicated switch to turn the TV off from your bedside, it's your choice - but don't fool yourself into thinking you'll be saving huge amounts of money, or the environment.

no never at the socket just the set top button

does the figure for the xbox include the transformer/230 to elv electronic conversion losses on standby!!

incidently i know how much i save as i have measured most appliances on standby and off at the set and the average is 22w on standby but then again all 5 off my tellies are fatter than me and my 3 videos are a bit old :D :D ;)

i agree modern is so much better but we cant assume every one is like you or me with there electronics they will be somewhere inbetween ;) ;)

after all there will be a vast amount off tvs ect that are well over 10 years old

i assume by standby you mean still operable by the remote control!!

As I understand it the reason sky boxes take almost as much power when operating as whan on standby is that they keep the LNBs and radio circuits on all the time so they can recieve firmware updates, instructions to record "anytime" programs and so on.

From Maplins

Remote Controlled Socket Set with built-in Timer 3-Pack
only £19.99

Order Code: N19GN

Turn the TV off properley with the above from Maplins.
JonB

does the figure for the xbox include the transformer/230 to elv electronic conversion losses on standby!!

Apparently those figures include all losses for when the console is in a standby state, although if you were to leave it powered on but not doing anything (i.e. pausing a game) then the consumption will be significantly higher.

i assume by standby you mean still operable by the remote control!!

Yup.

Remote Controlled Socket Set with built-in Timer 3-Pack
only £19.99

Order Code: N19GN

Turn the TV off properley with the above from Maplins.
JonB

While I'm sure those are a more power-efficient solution than leaving an old, power-hungry device on standby, it's interesting to see that the manufacturer doesn't quote how much power those receivers are using while sat there 24/7 listening for a radio signal. If you use these with your modern TV and ever make your money back on the energy saving (if any at all!) before they break, I'll eat my hat.

The TV on run is around 100W to 200W depending on model so will run on a 3A supply so as long as a FCU is used no reason why the switch should not directly switch socket no real need for relays.

presumably, the switch is already wired on the lighting circuit.. so unless he's intending to run in a new wire from the ring main then it's probably not a great idea to run the telly off the lights..

adding a relay will likely mean that you use more power with the relay on than the telly uses on standby anyway.. so you're not really gaining..

What a fantastic response, I've learned lots from what you have all said, many thanks. I have discussed all your points with the wife and we have decided that as the TV is on her side of the bed, she should get out and turn it off. Should she fall asleep during the football/golf/boxing then I wont insist she wake up, unless she is not working next morning, and we will leave it on standby :D

Really I am very grateful for your replies, I'll stick to standby.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back