Can I use this switch somehow to turn the TV off?

As I understand it the reason sky boxes take almost as much power when operating as whan on standby is that they keep the LNBs and radio circuits on all the time so they can recieve firmware updates, instructions to record "anytime" programs and so on.

Sky PLUS and HD boxes keep the hard drive spinning a lot on standby, for the reasons above. If someone has set a programme to record, or if it decides to record something of its own accord.

But SKY standard boxes only have to recieve updates. There is no hard drive. Keeping the LNB powered is no excuse though. Out of interest, on a quad LNB, so all devices still send power to the LNB?

Sponsored Links
As I understand it the reason sky boxes take almost as much power when operating as whan on standby is that they keep the LNBs and radio circuits on all the time so they can recieve firmware updates, instructions to record "anytime" programs and so on.

Sky PLUS and HD boxes keep the hard drive spinning a lot on standby, for the reasons above. If someone has set a programme to record, or if it decides to record something of its own accord.

Wasteful. HDD spinup takes a matter of seconds.

But SKY standard boxes only have to recieve updates. There is no hard drive. Keeping the LNB powered is no excuse though. Out of interest, on a quad LNB, so all devices still send power to the LNB?
Afaict multi output (dual/quad/octo) LNBs have totally seperate amplifier and downconverter circuits for each output with each outputs cricuits powered by the box using that output.

What a fantastic response, I've learned lots from what you have all said, many thanks. I have discussed all your points with the wife and we have decided that as the TV is on her side of the bed, she should get out and turn it off. Should she fall asleep during the football/golf/boxing then I wont insist she wake up, unless she is not working next morning, and we will leave it on standby :D

Really I am very grateful for your replies, I'll stick to standby.

An excellent solution by all accounts :D

Sponsored Links
img_1740_2.jpg

Does having it on standby not cause some sort of fire risk? Just what all the letters from firemen askin to switch of standby

Does having it on standby not cause some sort of fire risk? Just what all the letters from firemen askin to switch of standby

Not really. Unless your overloading a socket. Which is practically impossible with most AV equipment. I have my PC with 2 monitors, 5:1 speakers, desk lamp, sky box, dvd player, 37 inch LCD screen, broadband router, external HDD, all on one 13A plug. :cool:

Remote Controlled Socket Set with built-in Timer 3-Pack
only £19.99

Order Code: N19GN

Turn the TV off properley with the above from Maplins.
JonB

While I'm sure those are a more power-efficient solution than leaving an old, power-hungry device on standby, it's interesting to see that the manufacturer doesn't quote how much power those receivers are using while sat there 24/7 listening for a radio signal. If you use these with your modern TV and ever make your money back on the energy saving (if any at all!) before they break, I'll eat my hat.

My thoughts on that exactly.

There used to be some TV sets which had a relay controlling power to the entire set, including the ultrasonic or infrared receiver, and there was a button on the remote control which really was "Off" rather than just "Stand-by." Pressing "Off" caused the controller to release the power relay and cut power to the set completely, so it was then impossible to switch it on again from the remote control (you had to press a button on the set itself which bridged the relay contacts to power up the controller again and latch the relay on to get the set into stand-by mode).

Wasteful. HDD spinup takes a matter of seconds.
I didnt say it was running for nothing. Its running to record something! (Sometimes even if its not scheduled to record it, for that daft sky anytime) Although the box appears off and it wont transmit a picture to the tv set, while this is happening. It'll only be running on one tuner, but its practically full power.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back