Using Lighting wiring to power LCD TV

Let me correct or steer a few things.

* In general plug in devices go on ring mains not lighting circuits due to load

* Any device should be able to be disconnected

* A 50" screen will have some air space behind it for a switched fuse spur

* If the cable is buried in the wall it's half an hours easy work setting a flush back box in to a wall

You have just spent £1500 on a TV, £100+ on a bracket and your not happy to do the electrics the correct way ?

Please stop thinking of 'alternative' ways and do it correctly.

A back box is 60p and a nice steel flat face fused spur plate is £5, a pack of 3A fuses is 50p.

1 hours careful work and £6.10 gets the job done correctly.

Sponsored Links
OK - not sure if this has to do with the topic on my wiring but here is what I understand for wireless.

You laptop or home wireless can be 802.11 A or 802.11 G or 802.11 N or 802.11 B
A = 54Mb throughput on the 5GHz frequency.
G = 54Mb throughput on the 2.4GHz frequency.
N = 100Mb or above throughput on 2.4GHz frequency
B = 10Mb througput on the 2.4GHz frequency.

the 5GHz and the 2.4GHz frequencies are choosen because you do not require a license to use this.
The difference between 5 and 2.4GHz is distance. With 2.4GHz you should get up to 100 yards range - and every wall in between halfs the distance. So if you have a wireless ADSL router and you have 2 (normal stone) walls in between you still get around 25 yards of reception.
The higher the frequency the shorter your distance and so on the 5GHz range your lucky to get 25 yards without any walls. You also get a lot less interferance as your not on the 2.4GHz.
WIMAX will most likely go and work on 3.5GHz - but their is licenses that need to be bought if this happens.

So as far as I know - it is all fine and dandy what they are doing.

That is my 5 pence worth of what I know.

Yes I did read your post Chri5 - thanks and everything you're saying does make sense.
I was writing my reply at the same time as you - so I only read this after my reply on the wireless stuff.

I probably end up knocking a whole for the switched FCU behind the TV and connect it to the lighting circuit.

If it all fails and constantly is going to trip or fuse - then I will think of channeling the power wire in the wall so you cannot see that.

I will make sure that an electrician has approved it to make it all nice and legal as well.

Regards

Sponsored Links
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomms/isu/ukfat/ukfat08.pdf

Page 120 and 121.

I cant see anything about wireless TVs there. :eek:

Though I dont know what a WAS or a RLAN is.

I find it very hard to believe that Sony would market a product in a country where it would not be legal to use, so unless this is an import, it's incredibly unlikely there will be any legality issues with the radio signals.

@ the OP, why are you making such a meal out of this? If loading on the existing circuit permits and you really will not install/extend a more suitable circuit, just mount a flush outlet behind the TV. As Chri5 states, there will be more than enough room behind it, the standoff of the bracket alone will allow at least enough room for an FCU, surely?

the 5GHz and the 2.4GHz frequencies are choosen because you do not require a license to use this.

The 802.11a band you refer to runs on 5.8Ghz, not 5Ghz. It is also licensed, albeit under an Ofcom 'light' licensing scheme. You are required to pay £1 per year, per 802.11a equipped terminal, with a minimum yearly fee of £50 regardless of number of terminals. It seems you might be confusing the frequencies used by your new TV with that of 802.11a equipment.

Yes - good point - if the inrush current is too high it will trip the unit everytime I switch it on. Lets hope its going to be OK.

I also agree on the legality point - Sony would not use a non compliant frequency.

So in all - I'm a very very happy owner of this wireless unit - works terific - no wires (exept the power) and it works with all attachments such as satelite - bluray player - and get the full 1080p HD image without any hick ups or loss of picture. Recommend this unit to anyone for what it is worth.

Regards

Assuming the TV has an IEC inlet and a mains flex sized to match I really don't see any need for a fuse if connecting it to the lighting circuit.

I'd just wire the IEC lead in with a flex outlet plate.

So in all - I'm a very very happy owner of this wireless unit - works terific - no wires (exept the power) and it works with all attachments such as satelite - bluray player - and get the full 1080p HD image without any hick ups or loss of picture. Recommend this unit to anyone for what it is worth.

Regards
How does the pairing/encryption work? What security is there?

If one half breaks can you just replace that, or are both components useless?

Can you upgrade one component independently?

Can you have multiple displays?

Thank you Steve 5 091 – 5 150MHz AERONAUTICAL RADIONAVIGATION
AERONAUTICAL MOBILE.
Calling occupants of interplanetary extraordinary craft!!!!!!!!

I was told it was "Irrelevant - read the quote above." seems I was right after all.

But when the stuff came out to tell drivers about traffic ahead they were issued with temporary licence to test it and once tested they were given a completely different frequency and people who had bought the devices to test it with were left with rubbish on their hands.

Part of the test was to find out if anyone complained about using that frequency and they did.

As to fuse size they are same size as those found in shaver adaptors BS 646 number and if they are available as 3 amp than great but I have only seen 1 amp used I think standard 20mm so maybe a 3.15 amp fuse will fit.

I do not always complete a post quickly and when the last post was started the "quote above" was not there it was not until after I had posted the quote there for I know nothing about.

I can't see Sony marketing something which is not permitted on UK market although it does say Issue 15 2008 so one would think up to date.

So back to what was first asked it does seem a clock outlet would be fit for purpose!
180px-UK_Clock_Connector_3_pin_Open.JPG
although image shows with a standard back same size a normal socket outlet I have some with much smaller back but been is stock for a long time. At least with this picture you can see fuse.

I was told it was "Irrelevant - read the quote above." seems I was right after all.
I said that in response to this:

"As to aerial connection there have been boosters around for years which allow you to receive broadcast signals and re-transmit them but in the main they did not comply to UK rules and regulations. "

on the grounds that this is an integrated Sony product, and I can't see Sony marketing something which is not permitted in the UK.

I do not always complete a post quickly and when the last post was started the "quote above" was not there it was not until after I had posted the quote there for I know nothing about.
Sorry - didn't think about that.

I agree with you I would not think Sony would market the TV in UK unless it complied. It does state on web site that spec may vary from country to country so one would have to be careful of grey imports which may not comply.
And I will admit that was why mine didn't go on wall too many cables to it.
When I looked at the Wikipedia site to get better picture I see clock plug and socket are supplied with 2 amp fuse so the clock plug and socket would do the job and about the smallest outlet I can think of except for the very special plugs and sockets you can get from RS Components etc.

OK - Ericmark - I will try and get the Clock Outlet with a 2 AMP fuse - I will check and see where I can buy a unit like that - if you know I would appreciate it if you can let me know.
I will definitely put a fuse in between the wiring for exactly the reason we have fuses for - and I do not want anything to blow the TV or mess up anything else. I'm not a hero with electrics - its like water - and if not properly respected will make a lot of mess and damage.

So - you all been wonderful with your replies and answers etc.. and I now know what to do and will go for it.
Hope it has all given you something back in knowing all about wireless LCD TV's now - I have one and can recommend it. Very expensive at the moment but prices will come down over time.

Kind regards.

But clock outlets don't take up any less space than a switched FCU, they require exactly the same sized hole to be cut in the wall and they cost over twice as much...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back