What do I need to do for a neat job?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.

I am wanting to mount a small LCD on the bedroom wall (19"). There is a plug below where the tv will be but don't really want wires showing. I was thinking of somehow (and this is where you guys come in) adding a switched fuse spur in the wall behind where the tv will be which the tv can then be hard wired into. Being a switched fused spur I can also switch off the tv totally and not leave it on standby.

How would I go about this?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Your TV will have a button on it to turn it off.

You can add a spur from an existing circuit, this is fine. Fit a standard single plug socket. Place it above the mounting bracket, so the TV flex can be tucked up out of sight.

Crafty said:
Your TV will have a button on it to turn it off.

You can add a spur from an existing circuit, this is fine. Fit a standard single plug socket. Place it above the mounting bracket, so the TV flex can be tucked up out of sight.

Thanks for replying. Several of the newer flat panel tv's don't have an off switch. Only a standby switch.

Crafty said:

Hold on Crafty!!

Sockets need to have a disconnection time of 0.4seconds don't they? (A tv isn't really fixed equipment, at least not in my book, that socket could be used for anything) Lighting is only 5seconds, I appreciate that if you have MCBs this all gets a little academic as they should easily trip within 0.4secs, but given that we don't know, you could be giving misleading advice.

So my question Garrymum is do you have fuses or MCB (circuit breakers)

Thanks
-Dan

Sponsored Links
but it could have a switched FCU with flex outlet like Mum says. Much thinner than a plug and socket. Presumably only needs a 3a fuse cartridge. Could be tucked unobtrusively behind the TV so it can be operated when required for servicing. the TV will be screwed to the wall on its bracket so becomes a fixed appliance. if the wall is decorated in plain colours the FCU can be painted to match (a single flowing coat of gloss works well... with the accessory flat on the bench and before it is installed.

as for the cable being out of sight, I am thinking of chasing the cable into the wall and plastering over it. the spur cable ought to run directly vertically from the socket below with no bends or diagonals. The aerial coax could be chased into the wall from the loft, with a coax outlet behind the TV.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back