How many Spurs of a 13amp Double plug socket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm currently fitting an LCD TV to the bedroom wall. To make things neat and tidy I'd like to spur off the 13amp plug socket thats close to floor level directly beneath the TV, and place a new plug socket behind the wall mounted TV.

While I understand a spur will allow me to do this I also want to to fit another plug socket at shelf level to be able to plug in a DVD player. Question is can I fit another plug socket off the same spur?

The idea is to wire it like the crude diagram below: where X1 and X2 are the new spurred plug sockets connected in series, and RR is the current socket thats part of the ring main with the ring main wiring coming into and out of the socket

X2
|
|
|
|
X1
|
|
|
|
RR

Does anyone know if this is a viable solution?

Many thanks for everyones advise in advance!!

Sponsored Links
Yes, you can.

But put an FCU in between the ring final & the first socket, then you can have as many as you like on that run, as they will all be limited to a total current draw of 13A.

If you were to connect an FCU directly to the ring circuit, you can then connect both your sockets to the load terminals of the FCU.

This is an easy safe way to do it, but it will limit the total power for the new sockets to 13A, but that will be plenty for a TV and a DVD player.
It also provides a nice conveniet place to isolate the power if the sockets are behind stuff and not easily accessible

SecuresPark & RF Lighting, thanks for your replies.

Final quick question. The 13amp socket that part of the ring main is not at the end of the circuit as my crude diagram implied. It is just part of the radial circuit. With this in mind when spuring off the socket is it still recommended I fit an FCU before wiring in the spur sockets to the load end of the FCU?

Thanks for your help !!

Sponsored Links
Do you mean that the socket from which you intend to take a feed to the new sockets is not on the ring, but a spur already (ie one cable feeding the socket)?

the socket I intend to use for the spur is on the ring, and is not a spur itself.

Given this would you still recommend placing an FCU first on the spur before the extra plug sockets?

Sorry for any confusion.

Most definately. Spur off existing double socket to FCU (non-illuminated as its in a bedroom) and then from there up to the first new socket and on to the next and so on.

You can link off the socket to the fcu.

But If possible ,using the existing two cables in the existing ring socket, part them and put one in the new fcu and leave one in the socket, then link between the fcu and the socket with the same size cable.

This will make the fcu supply part of the ring, and leave two wires in the socket and two in the fcu (rather than three in socket and one in the fcu).

You then as others said wire from the fcu output to your new sockets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back