1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Running 2 appliances off a single fused spur

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by C4rtm4N, 11 Nov 2014.

1. C4rtm4N

C4rtm4N

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi

I've currently got an LCD TV fixed to the wall of my living room that I run off a switched fused spur behind it so that the TV can sit closer to the wall than it would if a plug was present. It's protected by a 5A fuse.

I want to add a soundbar underneath the TV & would prefer to run this from the same switched spur if possible.

TV is rated at 92W, Soundbar is rated at 22W so it looks to me that they would be drawing less than 0.5A combined & hence I can't see any problem with running both off the same switch & protected by the current 5A (or even a 3A) fuse.

My question is
    (a) Is it acceptable to do this?
    (b) Is it sensible to do this?

TIA

Steve

2. deadshort

deadshort

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi loading wise, yes. I would connect both TV and soundbar into the FCU and leave it fused at 5a.

You will be advised that you should only connect 1 flex to the FCU, but personally would not be concerned due to the small load required.

Kind regards,

DS

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Sponsored Links
  4. PrenticeBoyofDerry

PrenticeBoyofDerry

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    providing the load does not exceed the fuse rating and the cable/flex is suitably sized for the fuse rating. I see no issue.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. C4rtm4N

C4rtm4N

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks guys - I'll proceed as planned then :)

6. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

7. Sponsored Links