lcd tv

plugwash said:
Crafty said:
Really, then explain why the CRT monitor in my office at work flickers like crazy and has p**s poor colour rendition, as well as faded spots and very bad colour bias.
It is quite possible that your PC isn't set up right to drive it. Most LCDs preffer to be driven at 60hz and some very old crts require to be driven that slow but a modern crt with faster phosphers needs to be driven at a higher rate or it flickers like hell.

It is also quite possible that it needs degausing or some other adjustments.

Finally it is quite possible that it is simply a peice of rubbish that is on its last legs.

Last i checked good CRTs still gave the best color performance, the best viewing angle and the fastest response. Having said that LCDs are a lot better than they used to be and the size advantage is very appealing.
please don,t argue which is better crt or lcd.My question was what sort of cables do i need to connect lcd into surround system amp.Do ineed scart as well as component or any one which is better.My yamha amp has mainly phono connections for both audio and video.Hdmi cable is a must but which other cables should i put in channel which should be backward and forward compatable.

Sponsored Links
In simple terms, all you really need is one video feed and power in my opinion. The video feed of choice would be component right now, but HDMI if your LCD (or next TV purchase) supports it. The idea is that if you use a surround amp with video switching, you send all your sources to the amp, and one feed from the amp to the "monitor".

If you are using the TV's internal tuner for either analogue or DVB (Freeview) you will obviously need an aerial feed via coax. If you use a set tob box for terrestrial tv tuning, or even have Sky, there is no need for this.

If you really don't know what you need, make it future-proof so that you can feed more cables through in the future. Either make it bend free so you can "fish" it with a metal coathanger (best tool in my box!) or run some string in with the original cables that you can attach new cables to when you need to pull them through.

EDIT - Personally, I wouldn't bother with scart, its a dying connector. HDMI is the new scart, but if your sources only support composite or RGB, then its kinda required.

saleem said:
gman76 said:
Sorry, but I'd be more concerned about having an LCD TV than where I sited it!

I don't like them!
Why? Any reason.Future is going to be LCD tv.

How to make friends :eek:

Then you post about please don't argue LCD v CRT v Plasma- yet you sort of encouraged it :rolleyes:

Go to AV forums, for a definitive on inter-connects.

If your buying a 1080p or 1080i and you intend to go full fat HD via Blue ray transport and Sky / Virgin HD boxes then it all changes- so will you old amp etc....

You decide what you need in the next half decade, then we can comment on future proof cabling.

The alternative is to buying a decent lump of trunking, 50 x 50 or so and plaster it in. Then you have a decent tunnel within the wall to alter and change cabling as technology and your budget allows.

You avoided any response to the question regarding heat and having the TV above a gas flame fire- Silly, since the LCD will fail more quickly due to running over manufactures operating temp due to radiating heat from the fire.

I would suggest you consider a shelf / mantle between the fire and LCD to avoid heat issues as a bare minimum.

If you don't like my tone, well sorry for a guy seeking help, I don't much like yours :cry:

Sponsored Links
Here, Here!

Not only that, but this is an "Electrics" Forum. There are a million and one AV forums out there, and I guarantee there are more than odd posts on this topic. I recommend a spot of googling!

Failing that, Mystic Meg is the only one who can give you future-proofing predictions!

Septic Peg
"I predict the winner.....of the HD wars.....wil be.... HD-DVD.........or Blu-Ray!"

How profound!

tim west said:
CallEdsFirst said:
"I predict the winner.....of the HD wars.....wil be.... HD-DVD.........or Blu-Ray!"
Or hard disk download ;)

I've never even heard of torrents, so I wouldn't know. I couldn't even spell Demonoid so I think you should stop mentioning it! :eek:

According to the Which? report for August 2007:

"There are two rival high-definition DVD formats; Blu-ray and HD-DVD. The two formats are incompatible but do have one thing in common — neither works properly with most HDTVs on the market."

personally I would try and put in some kind of duct for a TV, preferablly one big enough to get fairly chunky connectors down.

Whatever cables you put in now with things in such flux you are bound to find yourself wanting something else in the future.

It isn't likely to get any more chunky than HDMI now though surely! Its an all in one video and audio connector not much bigger than USB or Firewire.

Can't see us reverting to something along the lines of a TPNE 125A Commando this far along the technological road!

Although in essence I agree, you can't futureproof now with existing cables, so you have to make additions easy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back