TV momentarily goes blank when lights switched on/off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I have just put a new 55 inch Samsung TV up in the attic room. Unfortunately when the light switches are used the TV momentarily goes blank.

Has anyone got any ideas as to what this could be and ways in which I can sort it out?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Any light switches, or one in particular?
It is doing it with all the light switches in the loft (2 of but not every time) and the light switches on the first floor. No sure about the ground floor. Seems to be slightly more intermittent with the light switches on the first floor

Sponsored Links
Does the power at the tv socket lose power, or is it just the tv signal that goes?

Does the power at the tv socket lose power, or is it just the tv signal that goes?
Tv goes completely blank so I’m guessing it loses power. The signal is coming from an Apple TV box and if that drops out the Samsung screen usually comes up saying searching for source and that does not happen.

Not sure if it’s worth noting but I am running an extension of the other socket with a fan and an exercise bike

Maybe the arcing in the switch is creating a signal similar to the remote, I knew someone whose TV used to go off when the fridge kicked in

You wrote "when the light switches are used the TV momentarily goes blank"
This indicates an inductive "pulse" which affects the TV input "signal" - from whatever that "signal" is derived and from wherever that "pulse" originates. The "lights" may have an inductive component in their supply which would make this more likely.

There are devices often called "ferrite suppressors" which may be purchased and "clipped" on to the Power Feed, Antennae cables and any other communicating cables concerned to suppress this interference.
(It is very likely that those cables are closely parallel and that is what is causing the induction problem.)

I strongly suggest that you look for "Ferrite Suppressors" and fit them to the cables concerned.

How about double checking that all the power leads are firmly pushed into their respective sockets.
Both at the wall plug and the TV.

Try make it repeat it and get someone to watch the LED on the TV, it may not go completely off and may just dim.
As above, try something else in the wall socket.
If that is OK then it may even be that you have a fault in the TV.

Are the switches normal mechanical switches or are they "smart" switches / dimmers etc ? A "smart" switch could be transmitting a radio signal when it is operated and this radio signal might be interfering with the TV signal.

No one has yet asked if the TV is running on the lighting circuit, not that I'd expect that to matter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back