Light switch for bathroom causes 1 light on another dimmer switch to flicker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A little odd this. All lights are on the downstairs cct.

There are 2 x leds in the bathroom and a fan. On a 2 gang switch. The other gang controls a single led outside the bathroom.

In the kitchen / diner. There is a two gang hamilton dimmer.

1 gang controls 8 x 1eds. 2nd gang 2 pendant lights with led bulbs.

When you switch the bathroom switch, and the 1st gang for the led bank of 8 is down low. One of the 8 leds flickers and goes brighter momentarily.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Is there a live feed off the bathroom switch to the affected room that is loose?
When you touch/ operate the switch , it makes and breaks this bad connection?

Thanks for replying so quickly. Ok let me try and answer these questions. The bathroom switch (and lights) is quite close to the kitchen diner switch. So there maybe a live feed and I have had to tighten some other connections.

All the down lights referred to incl 2 and 1 off the 2 gang bathroom switch and the 8 on the hamilton dimmer are ksr led down lights with separate transformer modules.

Is it strange only 1 of the 8 lights on the dimmer appears to be affected>?

Sponsored Links
Could it be coincidental?
In other words, was it doing it before and perhaps you didn't notice?
Or maybe the fault with one led fitting just happened at the same time?
Because if they are all switched together (which I didn't realise before) they would all dim if there was an intermittent loose connection in their supply.

Yes, thanks, it could of always been doing it because the ccts were altered and the led down lights all installed about 4 months ago during extension work. And it is not that noticeable unless the down lights down low and it is dark and you notice a flash.

When I said flicker a better word maybe a flash, so when the bathroom switch is operated and the dimmer low, 1 of the 8 downlights goes brighter for a part of a second then returns to normal.

Could this be as simple as a faulty downlight? It would be relatively easy to move the led to another position and the transformer if that didn't show the problem moving. Other than that, I'm out of ideas?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back