Dimmer switch help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m after a 4 gang, 2 way dimmer switch for the kitchen. Assumed I could buy any 4 gang, 2 way trailing edge dimmer switch off the shelf, but been told by an electrician (old guy who lives local) that I need the system with the individual modules and to make up the switch from components?

I’m not an electrician, but I am questioning his ‘advice’.

Surely I can just buy a trailing edge 4 gang dimmer? Max number of lights on one of the dimmers would be 12 x 7w gu10 fire rated LED’s. The other 3 would each control 8 x 7w, 4 x 7w and last 3 x 7w. They’d never all be on at the same time.

Hope that makes sense guys

Sponsored Links
Have you seen a 4 gang dimmer that does the amount of Led you have, maybe he knows they don't exist

Sponsored Links
Many LED dimmers are limited to a maximum of 10 LEDs. So make sure your selected LED dimmer can handle this.
Your LEDs must (of course) be dimmerable.

Many LED dimmers are limited to a maximum of 10 LEDs. So make sure your selected LED dimmer can handle this.
Your LEDs must (of course) be dimmerable.
I had no idea about the limited to 10 LED’s. Yes, all the fire rated LED’s I’ve fitted to the kitchen ceiling are dimmable, they are the small LAP ones from Screwfix (57mm cut out)

I see now that Screwfix are leading edge but trailing edge are found with a search from other places - some on Amazon.
Yes I found trailing edge ones on Amazon too, and quite a selection on TLC-Direct. I thought all dimmable LED’s needed trailing edge technology?

Depends on type of load, usually the higher wattage stated is for Tungsten lamps sometimes as high as 120watt, however the same dimmer may only do about 25 watt of Led load, you need to check the small print, also as earlier post sometimes too many actual led lamps are an issue, regardless of load.
Dimming leds is not always straightforward

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back