Dimmer Mystery

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an electrician wiring an extension for me. I have supplied sockets and switches and he is doing all the rest including wiring, testing and certification. The switches and sockets are from a reputable manufacturer and include a 2 gang dimmer switch. This has been assembled specially by the manufacturer as it contains 1 LED dimmer module controlling 6 x 6w LED downlights and 1 x conventional dimmer module controlling 4 x 33w halogen bulbs.

On installation, the electrician reported to me that the LED dimmer module didn't work. He swapped it out for "standard" dimmer module that he carried on his van; that worked perfectly. I have now got a replacement module from the manufacturer - that one doesn't work either. The conventional dimmer module is OK.

Unless the manufacturer has a serious quality problem with this batch, something is wrong with the wiring. But the electrician's own dimmer module works perfectly.

He is puzzled and I am puzzled. Is there an issue with some LED dimmer modules or a misunderstanding regarding the type of module - this one is supposed to switch automatically between leading and trailing edge.

Sponsored Links
Is there an issue with some LED dimmer modules or a misunderstanding regarding the type of module - this one is supposed to switch automatically between leading and trailing edge.
Yes, there are issues with such devices.

Generally, those that claim to do everything are the worst - not working at all, only working with certain LED lamps, not dimming enough, dimming too far, flickering lamps, buzzing, only working with a certain number of lamps, not more or less, and so on.

If the other module works, then use that.

Was the non working one a D&T / Varilight thing?

Its a Hamilton LEDstat 5-100w intelligent dimmer running 6 x JCC FGLED6 - or not, in this case. It doesn't even go through the auto start up cycle.

Unless the manufacturer has a serious quality problem with this batch, something is wrong with the wiring. But the electrician's own dimmer module works perfectly.
OK - it is unlikely (but not impossible given how little training and experience is needed these days to become an "electrician") - are you sure that he's been connecting them up properly?

this one is supposed to switch automatically between leading and trailing edge.
What they say is " Its sophisticated microprocessor analyses the connected LEDs and determines the best dimming curve necessary to achieve maximum performance – either leading or trailing edge."

That might mean that it works out how to ensure reasonable linearity when being used. Because the brochure says LEDSTAT FEATURES:

• Manually select a dimmer mode (leading or trailing edge).

Sponsored Links
I have to assume the spark knows what he is doing.

Agreed the dimmer is manually switchable between the two modes. perhaps I should have said the dimmer identifies automatically which mode it is in by beeping, continuous for trailing edge, 3 x short for leading edge.

HOWEVER, folowing this morning's visit, all is now well, so not sure what the problem was, didn't yet get chance to speak.

Thanks for help.

HOWEVER, folowing this morning's visit, all is now well, so not sure what the problem was, didn't yet get chance to speak.
Please find out, if you can, and report back - it would be a useful addition to the body of knowledge here.

If things are working with the dimmer your electrician has supplied, what's the issue?

We've had nothing but trouble with customer supplied dimmers and LEDs. Our bog standard click branded dimmers from the wholesalers have so far dimmed every led we've tried even when well under loaded.

The issue was just that, it was an expensive dimmer that didn't work. However in response to bas, it turns out there has been some miscommunication along the line. The original didn't work, the replacement does.

As RF suggests, the standard one off the van worked perfectly well, the one I had made up was probably 3x cost and has a number of beeps and self test/start up cycles etc but not sure how that benefits me!

Some dimmers have a trimmer that needs adjusting, it is maybe set too low for your load.

If your dimmer has a trimmer
But the cycle is taking the Michael
And the load, well does not bode
Ditch the blinking switch
Use your head and fit something else instead!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back