Making up a dimmer switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some years ago I had a dimmer switch made up by my local electrical supplier. This was a double face plate with two knobs and behind the plate were two different dimmer modules, each specific to the load of the lighting circuit. It worked well with my 50W halogen downlighers (12 x 50 watt on one switch and 6 x 50 watt on the other).

A couple of years ago all the halogens (and their transformers) were replaced with mains LED's (Megaman 6W GU10 LED's to be precise). The two old dimmer modules were replaced with 2 x varilight v-pro modules, simply by unscrewing the old ones from the plate and screwing in the new ones.

Now I'm getting to the point :D

We have just had a kitchen extension built and I have asked the electrician to replace the two gang dimmer with a three gang dimmer switch as we have an extra lighting circuit in the new area.

My assumption was that he would simply replace the plate with one having 3 holes and 3 knobs and purchase an additional varilight v-pro dimmer module. Job done!

What he's actually doing is looking to purchase a brand new 3 gang dimmer switch, but looking at the specification, the dimmer modules in that switch don't appear to be as good as the ones I already have!

Is it possible to purchase a plate without dimmer modules and make up your own switch by adding the modules (as was done to my existing switch)? Does this contravene any building regulations?

The switch he's looking to purchase is this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Varilight-Classic-White-Dimmer-Switch/dp/B007RCH08Y

The 2 dimmer modules I already have are:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/VLJP400MOD.html

The three circuits to be operated contain 15 LED's, 8 LED's and 10 LED's respectively.

From my understanding, the dimmer modules I currently have can cope with upto 15 Megaman 6W LED's, whereas the dimmer modules in the switch he wants to install appear to be of a lower spec. (300W rather than 400W). I'm therefore concerned that a new dimmer switch will struggle with the 15 LED's on one of the circuits!

I would appreciate your feedback to help my understanding so I can discuss this with my electrician.

Sponsored Links
Have you rung Varilight Tech to see if they are up to the job?

securespark, I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say "they are up to the job".

Do you mean the dimmers I currently have in the switch? If so, I found the compatibility matrix, which shows that each dimmer can operate upto 15 Megaman 6W LED bulbs:

http://www.megamanuk.com//assets/files/pdf/LR1206dDGv2_v3.pdf

It's the first one on the list.

Or, do you mean the dimmer switch my electrician has identified on Amazon?

I've had a chat with the electrician and I'm going to make up a dimmer switch by drilling some holes into a blank plate and purchasing an extra Varilight V-Pro dimmer module and an extra knob, which will then give me what is required.

Not sure how difficult/easy it will be to drill the holes in the plate but for the price of a blanking plate, it's worth a go!

Sponsored Links
Be very careful, those plates shatter and create very sharp shards.

I haven't seen any 3 gang dimmers, but a call to Varilight may be your best option, they are very helpful.

You can use grid switches and mix and match. I have in the past taken a dimmer from one plate and fitted in into another specially with brass plates but not seen the units as such for sale.

Dimmer plate holes are not round, if they were then the module could spin and pull on the wires.
personally id buy a 3 gang dimmer and if needbe fit 2 of your old dimmers to it.
Though you may find the knobs and shafts vary and may not be symetrycal with each other once fitted

Gutterball, I don't want to purchase new dimmer modules if I can help it as I have two perfectly good Varilight Pro-V's. besides, the click system is great but also very expensive - it would be cheaper to purchase a new 3 gang dimmer switch.

I can't find a contact telephone number on the Varilight web site, only a web page for questions. Shame, as I would have liked to have called them today.

Doh! Having typed in my question I noticed a contact number at the bottom of the web page: 01293 851584.
Oh well, I'll give them a call after lunch.

The dimmer your sparky wants to purchase will be fine for the job.

Take out your existing vpro modules and have them as spare or if you need them when you convert another room to LED.

Called Varilight technical support. They were very helpful and put me through to their sales team.

Purchased a 3 gang plate, 3 knobs and a V-Pro dimmer module to go with the two I already have.

A little more expensive than I expected, but cheaper than having to buy a new 3 gang switch and I get to use the modules that I know already work well with my existing LED's.

Sorted :D

Dimmer plate holes are not round, if they were then the module could spin and pull on the wires.
It could.

But if you do the nuts up tight it won't - I had a DIY 4-gang on a 2-gang blanking plate (cos I wanted it laid out like this:)

blank43x10t.gif
O
blank43x10t.gif
O
blank43x10t.gif
O
blank43x10t.gif
O

and they didn't work loose in over 20 years.

And the plate didn't shatter when I drilled it.

When I drilled out a blank metal plate for a dimmer, I used some double sided foam tape to attach the module to the plate, and then tightened the bolt up.

I will be very surprised if it ever moves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back