LED TV's drop out when desktop fridge pumps kicks off

Sponsored Links
I cannot recall if a ferrite clamp or ring on an aerial feeder will impede noise current in the screen without affecting the wanted signal in the central core.
People think of signals as traveling in wires, but for RF signals what is happening in the space between the wires is equally important as what is happening in the wires themselves.

A ferrite clamp or ring with an entire cable passing through it gives you a form of "common mode choke". Signals where the outward and return currents pass both pass through the same cable are unaffected. On the other hand high frequency currents trying to flow in a loop involving multiple different cables see a high impedance.

Ferrite clamps such as THESE are very good
which is probably true but the specification of these (RS 123-2482) of "13 x 25.5 x 11.8mm" does not tell you the one thing that you need to know and that is the diameter of the cable on which they are designed to fit - which, in this case, is 5 +/- 0.5 mm
See https://docs-emea.rs-online.com/webdocs/153b/0900766b8153bb51.pdf (Dimension "C")

Most other suppliers (e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=ferrite+beads&tag=diynotcom-21&ref=nb_sb_noss_1) tell you (only) the "inner diameter".

Sponsored Links
GETTING SOMEWHERE -> I moved the run of cables apart by 6 inches and its stopped, also one side of the fridge was always red hot and is now warm or not at all??? - this is the HDMI cable and power cable were running together for 2.5m - moved em 6" apart and issue has stopped....

whats the that all about?

especially the heat on one side of fridge?

EDIT: actually i just heard it go off so went to check and it was HOT on the side as before but the TV isnt dropping off (screen only)

thnx

Last edited:
GETTING SOMEWHERE -> I moved the run of cables apart by 6 inches and its stopped, also one side of the fridge was always red hot and is now warm or not at all??? - this is the HDMI cable and power cable were running together for 2.5m - moved em 6" apart and issue has stopped....

whats the that all about?

especially the heat on one side of fridge?

EDIT: actually i just heard it go off so went to check and it was HOT on the side as before but the TV isnt dropping off (screen only)

thnx
I think that you have just proved from where the interference is coming, or at least, the path by which it is getting in to the TV.
One should never run power cables and "signal" cables closely together in parallel for any significant distance.

You still might like to try the experiment of obtaining appropriately sized ferrite beads for both the power cable for the fridge and the HDMI cable, fit one and or both as near to the body of the fridge and the input plug of the TV as possible respectively, put the cables back where the were and see if the ferrites work as well as separating the cables.

(The heat is coming from the "condenser" of the fridge.
The heat which you take out of the inside of the fridge - to cool it - has to go somewhere - to heat up something else!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back