Alternative to paint on Sandstone sills and window heads?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello There, I'm doing an old house up and the Sandstone sills and heads have been neglected -but still ok. I will clean them off probably down to the stone. Firstly, what is the best way to basically treat the stone and is there an alternative to painting them perhaps with a finish that I can put on them to last longer than paint. It is a 3 story building. Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, Checked 'Stone sealers' out but basically they all deteriorate over time -the more expensive ones lasting longer. I apologise for the question anyway! Me... asking on a painters forum for a solution that isn't paint!
Seriously tho' I noticed my builder using SBR when he was preparing a scratch coat on old brickwork. That stuff really 'sticks' -so I'm thinking about coating the sandstone with a solution of SBR + cement and then prime and then paint the sills and heads. Any comments on this please.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back