Alternative to screed floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, I'm new to this site and could do with some help. We're in the middle of a self build. Walls and roof etc on and we are now finishing the floor downstairs. So far we've got a concrete floor, followed by membrane, insulation, membrane as specified in plans and building regs. It says we now need 5cm of screed floor. The area is about 80 square meters. We're getting quotes back and it's at least 2.5k. It's a self build and we can't afford that. A friend has just done a conservatory and just put boards down after the insulation. Could I do this? What's the point of screed floor other than to get it level. We're not having underfloor heating or anything. Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
not to mention 50mm is a bit light for an un bonded screed, with regards to a floating chipboard floor over the top, that all depends on how level and even your concrete sub floor is. The problem may be that the builders didn't account for doing it that way, when they poured the slab.
Does seem a bit pricey, where abouts are you, my screeder would charge me about £16-£18/sqm at that depth, supply and lay.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back