Alternative to Vaillant VR91 thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As part of installing wet UFH in a bathroom, the use of a Vaillant VR91 thermostat has been recommended, however, on contacting Vaillant they tell me that because it is IP20 rated it should NOT be used in a bathroom.

Can anyone recommend a thermostat that can be used in a bathroom and that is compatible with the Vaillant eBus system, VRC700 and VR71 wiring centre.

Sponsored Links
They dont have an alternative. However, as far as I know, as long as the unit is not fitted withing Zone 0,1 or 2 then it doesnt need any protection.

Google bathroom electricity zones and you'll find plenty of images showing you them, keep it outside the highlighted zones and you should be fine. The VR91 uses eBus as you know which operates around 20v so no mains voltage to worry about saftey anyway, its more to prevent damage to the unit to keep it outside the wet zones.

Thanks, I'm not sure exactly where the installer was planning to fit thermostat, but I'm sure it could be fitted outside of those zones.

I find it interesting that Vaillant didn't consider/ask where it might be fitted rather than simply declaring "The VR91 control is IP20 rated which indicates there is no protection against liquids, so therefore is not suitable for use in a bathroom".

At the same time they didn't attempt to offer any alternative and haven't bothered to answer my follow up questions. That is very disappointing support from Vaillant who have been very helpful in the past.

Sponsored Links
If its by email they may well be slow at getting back, they don't have an alternative stat that works with that system and guy on the other end may be emailing other folk to confirm before saying.

The IP ratings are marked in the manuals for the products, but again folk on a tech line are call center staff, not electricians and boiler engineers so they will read whats infront of them most of the time without necessarily being able to go further in depth on every product.

The make a wireless version of the VR91 however I suspect it would still be classes as IP20 even though its not electricaly wired to anything as water ingress will still be able to damage the unit.

If the bathrooms big enough to merit its own wet UFH zone and seperate control Im sure yous will find a spot where its out the way of harm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back