alternative two way wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can someone confirm if the following 2 way circuit will work and what cable requirements are necessary: Live from ceiling rose to 1st switch common and Earth also from rose to 1st switch. L1 on 1st switch connected to L1 on 2nd switch with yellow wire and L2 on 1st switch connected to L2 on 2nd switch with blue wire. 2nd switch common connected to ceiling rose (and onward to light) with red wire. 2nd switch Earth also to rose. This is a diagram I have in front of me but it seems as though only two wires are connected between each of the three components and I can't work out for the life of me what the cabling should be. Have I missed something out?

Sponsored Links
This should work ok assuming the original red (to c of first switch) is hard live and the other red (from c of second switch) goes to the switched live side of the rose.

It's an unusual way of doing it though, usually the hard and switched live go to one switch only, the switches being linked by the 3c+e

well the strappers almost certainly wouldn't be yellow and blue in such a setup

you can get cables with a single red or brown and an earth (though the stuff is quite tricky to get) or T&E may be used with cores connected together or a core left unconnected

another very common setup is to borrow the live at the first switch from the other switch in the same box. This is ok if the lights are on the same cuircuit but in real life they often are not.

it could also be done by taking a T&E to the first switch and then using a 3 and earth to take the strappers out and bring the switched live back but i think the only time you would see this is if someone didn't realise the other wiring layout for 2 way switching (the one that is now considered standard)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back