Why is this shorting 2 way circuit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everybody,
Is this circuit safe? It works fine but as a novice I've little confidence in it.

Live supply from 'common' on switch outside bedroom, going to 'common' on switch 1, via single insulated cable.
Brown wire in t+e going from L2 on switch 1 to L1 on switch 2.
Blue wire going from L1 on switch 1 to L2 on switch 2.

2nd t+e cable going from switch 2 to light.
Brown going from 'common' on switch 2 to L on light.

Now the problem! There is the original neutral cable going to somewhere outside the room, cant find it, when I connect it to N on the light, the system works fine. However the 2nd t+e cable does not have its blue wire connected, and it shorts the ststem when I do connect it at switch 2.

Do I need to have the blue wire connected on the 2nd cable?Where have I gone wrong!
Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick response ban -all-sheds.
Those diagrams are a good help.

Do you think there is anything wrong with the system, as in the previous live starting at a switch instead of the light rose.
Is it just a case of keeping things organised and uniform by having the light starting at the rose.

I think I will re route to that conduit system, it seems tidier.

Sponsored Links
curadh said:
Thanks for the quick response ban -all-sheds.
Those diagrams are a good help.
Full of good stuff, is For Reference...

Do you think there is anything wrong with the system, as in the previous live starting at a switch instead of the light rose.
No - saves a drop cable.

Is it just a case of keeping things organised and uniform by having the light starting at the rose.
It's what you have to do if there is no other handy place to get permanent live from.

I think I will re route to that conduit system, it seems tidier.
OK

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back