Alternatives to a radiator and heat source from central heat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a dilemma in that I am putting a false wall to mount a TV on the front of the room (as per another thread) and removing the 1200x550 double radiator that is currently on the wall.
One option is to put a vertical rad on/in the false wall to the side of the tv.

I can't really have a low-lying horizontal one in front of the wall as there will be a low-level AV cabinet sat in front on the wall on the floor containing all the tech equipment..

Someone suggested wall-mounting the AV cabinet and putting a kickplate coil with fan (heating elements come from central heating) but it is rather expensive and again I think the floating cabinet will look a little naff.

Any bright ideas welcomed! :oops:

Sponsored Links
Odd how you spend so much on your TV equipment but dont want to spend on heating!

The plinth heaters are very good but unsuitable for your application because of the noise from the fans!

There is skirting heating but the heat output per metre length is fairly low. Possibly low enough to still fit it under the TV.

Methinks you are going to need to rethink your plans! Watching TV you are not moving and need to be warm!

Tony

lol fair point.
BUt £500 + vat was getting a little too steep for my blood for the radiator and there is the issue with noise of course ;)

I did initially start my thoughts with skirting radiator and to be honest can't remember why I moved on.
Thinking it through again even if the AV Cabinet is in front of it there will still be some heating passing through its base.
It will be ~1.6m in length.

Mind you, any idea of indicative cost for a central heated skirting system?

You don't state how much horizontal space there will be available for your heat source.

How about a narrow double or even triple panel radiator.

Sponsored Links
Apologies.
Picture worth a thousand words.
The tv is 1.5m long.
The wall length is about 1.7m horizontal to the edge of the step (from the angled wall).
Putting a conventional panel radiator would then bring the low-profile long AV cabinet (1.5M) that is going to sit in front of the wall protrude even more

Dimensions of the wall(s):
View media item 56983

How about leaving the radiator in position and incorporating an internal radiator cabinet as part of the new wall design.

You would just need to leave some space behind the AV cabinet to allow cool air to enter at the bottom, add an outlet at the top and a removable panel for access. I built something similar along the entire wall of my lounge under a window and secured the removable panel with hidden magnetic catches. It works really well. I've not noticed any difference in its heating capabilities, warm air only comes out of the top slot where it is directed forward into the room. Cool air enters at the bottom slot and the entire casing and top which are made from MDF stay cool.

That is a cunning idea (and I am obliged to state for the record my wife did say "why don't you just put a radiator shelf above the rad :oops: )

I am guessing the shelf above it would have to extend for the length of the TV with holes to allow wires and cables through?
Otherwise the rising air might pass around the side of the 1290mm rad to the exposed part of the 1500mm TV above?

What did you do about the outlets ie have a shelf there to put something on or have a grill in front or something (otherwise it would be a big exposed gap below the TV?
I do need a shelf below the TV centred on the TV to sit the centre speaker on it. - I guess I would just plonk it on the shelf above the Rad, make it double-width and perhaps even have the Kinect sensor on it then have side frames painted black or something?

good way to keep the ceiling warm.

not so good for the rest of the room.

show us a plan of the whole room. the back wall might be better.

as you are open plan, it will tend to drift into the higher adjoining room.

show us a floor plan. the back wall would be better.

Done
Apologies for my crude non-existent skills!
There is a big radiator in the open through dining room which gets toasty wall but this heat does not come through to the living room.
View media item 57006
Problem with the back wall is there is then no space for sofa etc or else it will be slap bang in front of the (new) radiator

I can't read the word at the bottom of the pic where it says 4400 external wall.

in fact, I can't read most of the words.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back