Aluminium Windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have still not made a decision on whether to use UPVC Residence 9 or Aluminium Windows.
Does anyone know of any company that supplies aluminium windows with external putty line and internal ovolo Georgian bars?
Clearview Alutherm manufacture such a window but only as a corded sash. We need flush casements.

Sponsored Links
Have a look at Smart heritage range
Not sure what you mean by internal ovlo Geo bars though. Geo bars are the ones just inside a glass unit Astragal bars are the ones both sides of the glass

Sponsored Links
Oops no sorry just checked and he is Swindon area. I'm sure someone here is Devon/Cornwall area but cant remember who

Our worry with Residence 9 is that the frame width outside is 100mm whereas the existing wooden windows are 75mm.
Picture of existing windows attached.
I wonder if this would reduce the 'individual' pane size by too much so as to make the windows look unattractive.

Attachments

• IMAG0281.jpg
    IMAG0281.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 116
To be honest you have some nice large windows there so I don't think you would even really notice the odd 20mm here and there. Also bare in mind a little bit of the timber frames are behind the render so true frame sizes are probably pretty close to R9.
The corners on the bays I expect are where R9 will be a bit more chunky as you will have 2 frames plus a corner post, Rather than 2 timber frames cut on an angle and butted up.

Personally I would avoid aluminum, It does have its uses. It is the best material for bifolding doors and has some very thin frame options for people with very small cottage windows but it is a cold material and can have condensation issues. As a general rule its more of an industrial window material.

Another make that may be worth a look is Deceuninck flush sash http://www.deceuninck.com/uk/heritage-flush-sash.aspx
A bit cheaper than R9 and have a few mechanical/welded corner options.

Where abouts in Devon are you? I'm Minehead Somerset so your probably a bit too far from me

I dont think you would get many options on the astragal bar for aluminium windows. Are you talking about the depth of the r9 from front to back being 100mm?

Thanks for the helpful information.
R9 depth front to back is 100mm I believe.
The existing Windows are 95mm.
We do want to avoid any internal trims to make up any gaps.
We are a few miles outside Exeter.

If you did go with a standard 70mm deep frame the window could be fitted to the inside plaster reveal with the outsides rendered in.
Looks like you have quite shallow external reveals so would improve weather proofing.

Do you particularly want the white woodgrain effect or would plane white PVC be ok? (or other colors)
White woodgrain is a premium (about the same price as Anthracite grey/Chartwell green etc for most makes) R9 only do woodgrain it white so something like Deceuninck could be quite a saving if pane white is ok.

Yes we would prefer woodgrain-we are in a conservation area and local authority has asked us to replace the windows with as similar as possible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back