Always read the manual or else!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thought that this may help some others and avoid the unnecessary work which I went through.
For the past six months we have experienced a foul smell in our kitchen .
It appeared at varying times of the day, lasted for a few hours, whatever the weather or time, and then disappeared.

I disconnected and checked the sink and washing machine drains but it still continued.
I even checked the external drains to see if they were blocked up but to no avail, and if anything it was getting worse.
Even the poor dog came in for some criticism and close inspection, and had a few extra showers.

We must have the sweetess smelling dog in the country, not that she appreciated it. :LOL:
Out of embarrassment we actually cancelled a dinner for some friends as the dining room is just off the kitchen.
By now I was convinced that it was coming from the subfloor but as all our floors are overlaid I didn't fancy disturbing them.
I finally decided that there was nothing for it but to cut a hole in the floor of the kitchen, but the day before I was due to do it, the smell returned with a vengeance at the time the washing machine was on fast spin.

Eureka, for some reason, it occurred to both my wife and I, that the smell coincided with the time that the washing machine was on, or just after it had finished.
As a result I did some research on the internet and was surprised to find that this is a common problem, with the new machines, which run on low temperature washing cycles.

Apparently you are recommended to rinse the machine on a high temperature frequently to get rid of the build up of detergents which accumulate in these machines.

In fairness to the washing machine manufacturer it is mentioned briefly in the manual but it does not emphasize the importance or just how bad the smell can be.
Be warned

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Since when does detergent smell like drains? Only bacteria smells like that. Your water is going stagnant in the pipes/pump-sump. Either that or your trap is allowing bad air back.

Since when does detergent smell like drains? Only bacteria smells like that. Your water is going stagnant in the pipes/pump-sump. Either that or your trap is allowing bad air back.

Just where did he say it smelt like a drain.... :rolleyes:

You just couldn't let that one lie, could you TW? ;)

Hm.

Did you hear the joke about the liver and kidneys? It was offal.

My orthopaedic surgeon wears sandals - he's very hip.

That reminds me I must look up a female friend who's a gynaecologist

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back