Miele W449 wash cycle taking longer than normal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, we have had a Miele W449 washing machine for quite some time and it has been a true work horse.
The problem has started a few months ago shortly after a Miele engineer changed our door/ drum seal at a special Miele price. Anyway back to the problem at hand.
Wash cycles are taking nearly twice what they are supposed to. For example the express cycle takes nearly an hour when the machine says it should take 30mins.
A point that might be useful or not is that it sits with 20mins left for the majority of the long wash (express).
Also the machine is starting to smell and we now wash the machine on 95C cotton wash to keep this down.
I have checked the following:
Inlet - not blocked
Drain pump - clear of debris
Machine is level
Is there anything to check or change / replace inside? I don't mind opening up and repairing, including soldering.
Some help or suggestions would be welcome
Thanks in advance, Nath

Sponsored Links
Just a thought. Is the door / drum seal fitting correctly? Sounds like it's restricting the drum, causing teh motor to temporarily heat up, and stopping to cool down before it starts again when the motor has cooled down to an operating temperature?

Hi there and thanks for the reply.
I am not sure the door seal is causing too much pressure but then I could be wrong. The door closes ok without too much pressure required to lock the door.
Also when I select drain spin cycle for example, an 8min cycle. The washing machine behaves normally coming up to 1600rpm and the cycle takes the 8mins.
If you know of a way of testing the door seal I would appreciate knowing how to check mine and getting back to you with feedback.

I'm gonna struggle to help with the seal fitting.

Does your washing machine heat it's own water? I'm thinking you should look into the water heater too, if it's working at it's best, or it's taking too long to heat the water.

Sponsored Links
If the heating element is dead then it can much longer than usual to complete a cycle. On the 95 degree cycle check that the glass gets hot. The machine typically must reach a set temperature before the cycle can advance.

Thanks for you feedback. Apart from feeling the front of the door which does feel cool at the end of a wash. Do you know how to test the heating element to make sure it's the element or the electronics not turning on the element? I have a multimeter but any idea as to a good and bad resistance would be good?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Miele-hea...MFORT-KLASSIK-KOMFORT-PARAMOUNT-/221283146116

Miele whether it's dishwashers or washing machines, they all have the same water heaters, hence why you'll see so many people asking why my dishwasher takes sooooo long to complete a cycle. Some parts are probably not as good as the brand names, maybe be because they expect you to service the machines every year? :/ ... Crazy.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Penty of videos on Youtube.

etc

It should feel cold at the end of the cycle because the rinses are done with cold water. Its only the main wash that gets heating. It should feel warm/hot about 20 mins after you start it.

Again thanks for the help so far. I have stopped using the washer today and opened to check the element. Da-daah, element open circuit. New one on order to arrive tomorrow so hopefully I will have positive news after I have fitted it.
Sounds like a silly question, how do you remove them? I see we have shake proof washers on the elements. I am guessing these need pricing off to remove the element as there is no compression bolt like other elements for cheaper washers.
I will wait and see exactly which parts I get with the new replacement.
Is there an easy way to remove the element?

Remove the temp sensor in the middle by pulling it out.
Its been a while but I think I just pulled mine out. I persuaded the sides with a screwdriver and pulled it out.

What is the condition of the bottom of the machine? Any rust? What about the feet? Do they still have the rubber on them?
I'm wondering if there is corrosion on your pcb.

Hi there, the bottom of the washer has no rust and the pcb is looking in good condition also.
The heating element has the sensor as you said I have checked it's working once I pulled it out of the rubber. Placed in warm water and resistance changed.
I am guessing you then persuaded the element out with a screwdriver on the sides?

Yes.
Pull the pressure chamber at the front and check it is not full of soapy "lard" too.
Check the hose that runs from the pump to under the soap dispenser and the hose from the anti-siphon device to underneath the soap dispenser are free of blockages too whilst its all apart.

Great news, the new element arrived today.
I removed the what I think is the pressure chamber on the front just above the element to give myself a bit more space to work.
If it was the pressure chamber it was clear and all other pipe were clear also.
Pulling out the old element was not the easiest thing to do. Using a flat blade screwdriver to get under the rubber and lever it out was easier said than done, glad I removed the pressure chamber.
Old element out, I then had to re-use the metal plate from the old element for the new one. New element made up and to make insertion easier I sprayed the back side of the new rubber bung with silicone grease.
I slid the element in and turned the drum only to find it rubbing on the element. A quick look inside the opening showed a brakes to keep the element secure and away from the drum
I re-inserted the element, quick spin and all was ok. I then pushed the element home and checked around to ensure it was in properly.
Another spray of silicone on the sensor and in it went.
Connected up the wiring again and reassembled the washer.
An express cycle put on to check for leaks and also the cycles duration was 30min as machine states. It was, brilliant. A further hot was later and the door glass was warm to touch.
Once again, thank you to the help and advice given. Very much appreciate it, thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back