Am i allowed to fit a boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
O.k, first off iam a gas safe registered plumbing and heating engineer.
Ive not fitted a boiler for about 3 years now.
My paper certificates say i have: CCN1
MET1
MET4
CODNESP1
CEN1
All of these certs expire in 2013. The trouble is on my gas safe card it says iam only entitled to do pipework and meters.
Ive not got a f/g analyser or the cert of competance. Ive got the opertunity to fit a boiler tomorrow as a sub-contractor but they need some assurance that i can sign off the work

Sponsored Links
Without cpa1 your cen1 is invalid. Your card will also say it is only valid when working for the company to which it registered.

The contractor has an equal responsibility to ensure you are suitably qualified as you do.

So the short answer is: no.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Namsag but this is not a wind up post!
Thats interesting to know that i have untill June now to get the cert, i thought it was April.
Ive not been doing alot of gas work these last couple of years so not been keeping upto date as much as i probably should.
As ive said this job has literally sprung up, ive only got untill this eve to say yay or nay.
Looks like i will be fitting a boiler tomorrow!

Cheers guys

it was April but so many have not done it (myself included) they have put it back

My renewal is due soon and it annoyed me that i was going to have to pay upto 200 quid for something that would be included after april and is just a stupid paper exercise.

I think its a pish take post as well.

GS card will display all gas qualifications rather than just the ones that your company wants you to be able to use.

Agree with BGSMjack and others, it's a pee take.

It would say on the back of the card whether the op could fit boilers, if he had one.

I dont really know why you all think this is a pish take!
My gs card is registered to me with my name on it. But as ive said it does not have all the ratings that i have got. The only 2 thats not on it is cen1 and ccn1.
Bring back corgi i say, never had this trouble with them! A classic example of better the devil you know than the devil you dont.
However my naturely suspicious mind thinks that corgi and gas safe are one and the same and the whole affair has been to secretly fleece us poor (poor! haha) mugs!......i mean when i had my gas safe rep visit me last year it was the same geezer.

Shame on me for being so paranoid ;)

Check you registration with Gassafe, if it ain't listed you can't do it.

That should apply to the card as well, what ain't onit you can't do.

Have I missed something?

Gas Safe only operates registration in the UK and not on Dutch Islands.

Must be a wind up!

Nice one Fragile!
So just because i mostly reside in the NetherRegions but was born in the UK iam not allowed back to work?
Sorted it with BPEC today, a clerical error on their behalf. Their going to download my original certs to gas safe tomorrow. Alls cool until June.
I wonder how many boiler fitters havnt got their "Flue Jab" yet? Embarrisingly loads me thinks which is why they've had to put the deadline forward.

And yes Dan the man, what a load of betty swallocks! To say a boiler could be left in a POTENTIALY dangerous condition when commisioning or servicing a modern day boiler without an f/g analiser. More chance of choking on a peanut!
Still having trouble fathoming my post is a pesher though :/

Nice one Fragile!

So just because i mostly reside in the NetherRegions but was born in the UK iam not allowed back to work?

If you spend too much time in the UK then you become subject to all UK tax laws.

Not sure about earnings from short term visitors like singers etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back