Am I allowed to swap halogen GU5.3 MR16 downlights to GU10 LED downlights?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As the title

Assuming there is an earth cable in the existing wiring which is needed to fit LED GU10 units, am I allowed to DIY these myself or do I have to get an electrician to come over?

It is straightforward enough to swap these, but I have no way of testing the work or the existing wiring.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
You can do all electrical work in the home, what the question is if worth the charges levied by the local authority when notification is required?

So where you live matters, Wales and England different rules, as to inspection and testing an EICR after all work has been completed should highlight any errors, but again the question is cost, you can end up paying more for the EICR than it would have cost to do the work.

In the main the law says it must be safe, but there is no strict rules as to whom is considered as an electrician.

As the title ... Assuming there is an earth cable in the existing wiring which is needed to fit LED GU10 units, am I allowed to DIY these myself or do I have to get an electrician to come over? ... It is straightforward enough to swap these ...
Anyone is 'allowed' to do any electrical work, provided they do it competently and 'safely', but just a small number of types of work (now very few in England) have to be 'notified' to the Local Authority (at a high price, so DIYing such jobs is often not cost-effective).

As far as your lights concerned, given that there is an existing circuit, and provided they are not in a bathroom ceiling which is less than 2.25m above floor level, then that would not be 'notifiable' (in England).
, but I have no way of testing the work or the existing wiring.
Strictly speaking, any electrical work should be 'properly tested'. However, few DIYers have the equipment and/or ability to do that, yet DIY work goes on .....

Kind Regards, John

Thanks JohnW2

By allowed I meant the notifying part.

But best to get an electrician in in this case.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks JohnW2 .... By allowed I meant the notifying part.
As I said, if you're in England and if the lights are not <2.25m abov floor level in a bathroom, then it; would not be notifiable work.
But best to get an electrician in in this case.
That's obviously your decision.

The 'testing' issue you raised is more difficult - since, as I said, if it were applied strictly, then the vast amount of the DIY electrical work which is done would become 'impossible'.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back