Am I doing this right???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to replace a couple of floor joists that run from behind my front door into the living room of my 1900's semi. After removing the carpet and checking under the floor (approx 2-3 foot void) the remaining joists look fine. Most of the floor boards are fine but there are a few that are uneven and have a bit of rot but these ones will have to come up to get to the joists that need replacing.

The long term plan is to fit oak flooring. To make sure the floor is solid I plan to:

1. Rip out the old floor boards.
2. Relace the 2 or 3 rotten joists.
3. Insulate between joists.
4. Fit new ply or chipboard floor
5. Live with it for a bit whilst saving up for the oak!

I have some mineral wool insulation left over from doing my loft so plan to attach netting to the underside of the joists and use this.

My main question is what is best to use for the actual floor? I understand that chipboard is not good to fix oak flooring to, so that leaves ply? If so what type/thickness is best?

Also, is there anything I've forgotten or should be done differently?

Sponsored Links
18mm wbp ply can be used in place of traditional floorboards.

Try and figure out what caused the timber to rot. If damp, check your airbricks, if woodworm, get some woodworm fluid and give the existing a going over before boarding it all back up.

Rest of your plan sounds good, don't forget noggins.

Thanks for that.

Is OSB good enough for this job? I've checked the local builders merchant and it's £30 a sheet rather than nearly £60 for WBP.

The worst of the rot is behind the front door. The door is uPVC now but I'd guess that the previous door let a bit too much weather in. The joists seem sound where they sit in the wall and the void is pretty dry. Had cavity wall insulation done recently and they added a couple ore air bricks too.

I'll definately get treated joists for the replacements and might splash some cuprinol around too. Good call on the noggins, I'll remember to order an extra joist for chopping up.

Thanks for that.

Is OSB good enough for this job? I've checked the local builders merchant and it's £30 a sheet rather than nearly £60 for WBP.

Go elsewhere, they are taking the P with those prices. (Or was delivery included?) Even Wickes are cheaper than that and they're considered expensive compared to some.

Wasn't Travis Perkins was it?

I can get OSB for about £12 and ply for under £20 locally.

Sponsored Links
It was Buildbase. I've ordered from Wickes now as they were a bit cheaper and could guarantee saturday delivery. I might ring around a few builders merchants and timber yards now though and see if I can cancel the Wickes order.

Thanks for the advice.

Wickes aren't that expensive. Stick with it and remember to shop around harder next time.

Hmmm, I didn't know Buildbase were into pulling fast ones on unsuspecting Diy-ers. I shall be contacting Watchdog with my findings henceforth! :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back