Mixed sizes solid oak boards & do I remove existing floo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m a newbie at it but would like to fit European Solid oak 130mm x 18mm constructional strength boards direct to joists. The supplier sells them in packs of random lengths mixed from 300-1200mm and therefore will not all straddle the joists. What do you do in this instance?

I have a mixture of flooring currently over the joists, pine boards, chipboard or both in some cases and the floors are not level; they go up and down. I thought the best way was to remove the existing flooring and try to level the joists first then lay these oak boards on top using secret nailing.

I’d really appreciate your advice.
I’m prepared to spend as many days/weeks as it takes on the project if I can do it.

Sponsored Links
You will never get away with installing these 'solid offers - beware of the short end of the stick' - as we call them - directly onto joists.
You either have to invest in a better quality Oak flooring that does have long lengths (long enough for every board to connect with at least 3 joists) or invest in installing 18mm plywood sheets first.

The choice is yours.

thanks for the link. is there a recommended seller of just long solid oak boards at good prices?

Hmmm, I could of course say: us, us, us but that might be considered advertising ;)

No matter where you go, make sure the long boards are dried to flooring specifications and not to timber specifications (so most timber yards are out)

Sponsored Links
I couldn't find prices on your site. also states random length :eek: . can you pm me with some of your prices please?

Random lengths: between 800 - 2200mm and if needed can request minimum lengths of what you like.
Prices, best gives us a call

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back