Laying Solid Oak Flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am planning to lay 17mm thick by 130mm wide tongued and grooved solid oak boards in a small downstairs toilet (1.85*0.95metres) Existing floor is chipboard.

I am worried that the boards may warp

Is it OK just to glue the boards together along the edges and allow the new floor to float or do I need to screw the boards down or will this only encourage them to warp further

Any advice would be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Best is not to use solid floorboards in nay area that has more moist (toilets, bathrooms, kitchens.)
Don't screw the boards down, when they expand due to moist they will split because movement is restricted due to the screws.
You can't nail into chipboard, so either float your floor, gleuing all T&G's correctly or fully bond them to the chipboard (as long as the chipboard is not of the water-resistant type) with parquet adhesive

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back